I Hate Being Such A Novice...

Decorating By KayMc Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 2:07am by debbief

KayMc Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 6

Man, sometimes I really just suck. I've spent many, many hours this past week making gumpaste decorations for a cake I'm doing this week. (I'm a hobbyist, no professional). I have two horse chestnuts, about 20 red berries, a bunch of leaves (4 different types), few yellow flowers, two red flowers, 2 realistic (for my novice ability anyway) looking mice, etc, etc. I was feeling pretty good about them, until I was hit between the eyes with a realization. LESSON LEARNED: DON'T MAKE DECORATIONS WHILE DRINKING A GLASS OF WINE!!!!! I only put some of the decorations on wires, not any of the leaves. Now, there is no way I can make a spray with the leaves and berries, as the leaves are all stand-alone, not on wires. I'm such a schlump......

5 replies
peg818 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 6

Don't loose the leaves you can just put them here and there to fill in gaps.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 6

I've heard of some people being able to heat up the end of the wire and then they can stick it in the leaf/flower. Might work.

bakencake Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

also, try wetting the back of leaves putting the wire then putting some gumpaste in the same color in the back, a little, just enough to sandwich the wire and the back of the leaf and glue it together.

KayMc Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 6

All good suggestions! Thank you!

debbief Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Quote:
Quote:

also, try wetting the back of leaves putting the wire then putting some gumpaste in the same color in the back, a little, just enough to sandwich the wire and the back of the leaf and glue it together.

I've actually done this before and it worked perfectly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%