Has Any One Noticed The Price.....

Baking By ALVARGA Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 12:51pm by LindaF144a

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 2:05am
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsational

I went to super walmart and got butter and 3.49 for a pound that was 2 weeks ago, went last night and again still 3.49 it was 1.49. My mom was with me and even said what is the cows on strike or something????

Another reason I don't like wally world. They set their prices according to the neighborhood surrounding them and they start raising their prices on things once people start really buying those items.

I haven't seen prices go up to bad in my area.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:02am
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

I think it is supply and demand.

yep. basic law of economics that affects pricing under ANY circumstances. Those who are 'stocking' up are artificially inflating the "demand" which will cause the prices to go up. (Not that I'm against stocking up .... I do it all the time, too. just sharing how it works.)

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:27am
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Ah man...you guys have had it good in the US for bakery ingredients...Our prices went up about 4 years ago...sky high...I pay $4.00 for a pound of butter...$7.00 for a 2 pound tub of Crisco...sugar is around $10.00 for 20 pound bag..flour the same.I have had to rasie my prices 3 times in the last 3 years....customers don't like it but what can yah do!!

Your doing better then we are in ontario.....we pay anywhere between $5-6 for a pound of butter, $10 or more for crisco (depending on where you go), flour for a 20 pound bag is more then $20, and I noticed just today that a 2lb bag of poweder sugar at the grocier store (zehrs) is $3.99, can't get a dozen eggs for less then $2.00. icon_cry.gif Ohhh yes and 4liters of milk is almost $7.00. icon_confused.gif And everyone asks me why I buy everything for baking in buffalo. TWIN CITY BAKERS...YEAHHH icon_redface.gif sorry got excited.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:26pm
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Quote:

Ah man...you guys have had it good in the US for bakery ingredients...Our prices went up about 4 years ago...sky high...I pay $4.00 for a pound of butter...$7.00 for a 2 pound tub of Crisco...sugar is around $10.00 for 20 pound bag..flour the same.I have had to rasie my prices 3 times in the last 3 years....customers don't like it but what can yah do!!

Your doing better then we are in ontario.....we pay anywhere between $5-6 for a pound of butter, $10 or more for crisco (depending on where you go), flour for a 20 pound bag is more then $20, and I noticed just today that a 2lb bag of poweder sugar at the grocier store (zehrs) is $3.99, can't get a dozen eggs for less then $2.00. icon_cry.gif Ohhh yes and 4liters of milk is almost $7.00. icon_confused.gif And everyone asks me why I buy everything for baking in buffalo. TWIN CITY BAKERS...YEAHHH icon_redface.gif sorry got excited.

What is twin cities bakers? Is this a store In buffalo?
And you get the stuff across the border okay?
And then add all the taxes you pay on top of that, yikes!
With prices like that, a cake would definitely be a special occasion thing.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:37pm
post #35 of 36

[quote="LindaF144"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatslifeca

Quote:

What is twin cities bakers? Is this a store In buffalo?
And you get the stuff across the border okay?
And then add all the taxes you pay on top of that, yikes!
With prices like that, a cake would definitely be a special occasion thing.[/quote

Actually there is no duty on cake supplies. As long as it's in it's original packaging, and yes it's in Buffalo. Very close to the border and I can even get sweetex there. Now there are some rules...like no fresh stuff, but powerd sugar, fondant, sweetex....stuff like that doesn't fall under those rules. I haven't had any problems yet. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 12:51pm
post #36 of 36

Thanks. I'll have to make the drive and check it out. I live In the next major city to the east, so not too far away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%