Can I Use Plain Gel Colors To Airbrush With?

Decorating By Christina1207 Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 3:23am by tinygoose

Christina1207 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:20am
post #1 of 7

My wilton class instructor told me if i thin down wilton's gel colors i can use them to airbrush with. But she did not tell me the ratio of gel to extract to get it tol the right liquid stage. I bought a little airbrush kit at micheal's and am really hoping to not to have to buy the more expensive airbrush colors sold online. Does anyone know how to do this? Any info on this would be great.

6 replies
tinygoose Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:07am
post #2 of 7

Americolor sells airbrush colors and they are not that expensive. The little bottles are around $1.50 each or you can buy them in sets. They last forever it seems. I bought a set of 41 or 43 colors, basically every color from a cake supply store in Napa, CA Sweet...something, they are on ebay for about $40 bucks. Since then (about 2 years ago) I have only replaced about 5 colors with larger bottles, just the ones I use most. (I don't make that many cakes) It would be a pain to have to thin colors every time I wanted to airbrush. If you do thin, thin with vodka.

tinygoose Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:08am
post #3 of 7

Americolor make both gel and airbrush (mist) colors, so make sure you are ordering the correct kind.

lollyponpon Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:44am
post #4 of 7

i wish i lived in the states sometimes... the americolor mists over here are $6 a bottle, or $7 for shimmer, but when you try to get them online-ur hit with a huge postage fee because of the weight--it's a lose/lose situation! icon_sad.gif

Christina1207 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 7

Well the reason I ask is cause I wanted to know if i could this since i would only need maybe three or four colors. I really don't want to spend money on shipping and handling and waiting a couple of days for it to arrive. i would rather just be able to go to the craft store and thin it down myself when I need it.

CakeInfatuation Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 7

I thin my gel colors with some rum. Never bought airbrush colors... not in my budget to buy both airbrush colors and gel colors.. Works fine for me.

Don't have any ratio's though... just wing it. icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:23am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina1207

Well the reason I ask is cause I wanted to know if i could this since i would only need maybe three or four colors. I really don't want to spend money on shipping and handling and waiting a couple of days for it to arrive. i would rather just be able to go to the craft store and thin it down myself when I need it.

Then, yeah it should work. The amount of vodka will depend on how translucent you would like the color to be. Gas to and from the craft store over a period of time is probably more expensive, but I get what you're saying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%