Gingerbread Houses - Can I Bring This Up Again?

Business By Kaylani Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm by LuluSweetArt

Kaylani Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:14am
post #1 of 12

Hi All,

Does anyone sell decorated gingerbread houses for the holidays?

If you do, how do you sell them? Pre-order only? Pick up item?

Also, would you be willing to share your pricing?

I searched and found very few threads from a long while back, so I would love to hear a 2009/2010 report icon_smile.gif

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
online_annie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 12

I would also love to hear more current information regarding the lost art of Gingerbread Houses. I've seen more Fake ones than Baked ones. By Fake I mean Polymer Clay.

Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 12

I personally love the idea of faked ones, id love to create something, that i could keep and bring out year after year! ! Having said, i love the fun of making the houses with my family around xmas time icon_smile.gif I want to know what people think too icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 12

I closed my bakery shop Dec. 31, '09, but I did make and sell gingerbread house kits for years. I made all the pieces of the house, a base, snowman, a door, tree, and gingerbread man, icing mix, icing tip and 2 plastic bags, and a selection of sprinkles and candies. I sold them both by order and by retail pickup for $29.00 a kit. (the approx. size was 10" X 8"). I wrapped the entire kit in a large gift bag and tied with holiday ribbon.

I also sponsored a contest with community children with a prize of a cookie baking party for the older kids and baking kit for the little children. I set a deadline for those houses to be submitted and used them as holiday decor in our retail section. (They had to purchase the same kit from me icon_wink.gif AND I used them to decorate!!) And...even better, the local newspaper came to take pics - so FREE advertising!

Hope this helps - as you can tell, I think it's a great idea!

motherofgrace Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 12

that contest is a FANTASITC idea!

I have been trying to figure out how to market my kit above the ever so cheap grocery store kits, and this is perfect!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 12

This girl has been in business for years! I ordered a house from her once and I enjoyed it. As I recall she's not great at communication and it got frustrating for me not knowing the status of the order, but once I got it I was very happy with it.

Kaylani Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:10pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you all for the great information!
It is really interesting to hear the kits were popular. I was worried about the price point since Wilton makes those cheapie ones. That is a great idea!

I love the contest idea!!

I hope we hear lots & lots more! icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 12

We were looking at doing this, but comparing the time it took to make one-off gingerbread houses against how much we could charge, it wasn't realistic to offer it commercially. If you could mass produce them like Enchanted Gingerbread that's a different story, but that would be a big commitment.

Here is a picture of a vegan gingerbread house we made for a friend (I believe it was made using instructions from a Martha Stewart magazine, it's completely edible except for the trees):

motherofgrace Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 12

can i use corn syrup instead of molassas? I HATE the smell lol

tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 12

Yes you can substitute dark corn syrup for the molasses in gingerbread - altho it won't taste quite the same as the traditional. I've also split the difference - half molasses and half corn syrup (either light or dark).

cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 12
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Here is a picture of a vegan gingerbread house we made for a friend (I believe it was made using instructions from a Martha Stewart magazine, it's completely edible except for the trees):

jasonkraft, I love this gingerbread cottage. I enjoy baking vegan and gluten-free holiday items for my friends with special dietary needs, but I never thought to make gingerbread houses for them!! Great idea.........I'm going to do that this year! icon_biggrin.gif But could you tell me how you make vegan royal icing????? This has me stumped. tia

LuluSweetArt Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

You can also substitute honey for molasses. It makes the gingerbread a little sweeter but it bakes into a beautiful light golden brown color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%