Minnie Mouse Hat

Decorating By sugarprincess Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm by sugarprincess

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:08am
post #1 of 4

I want to make a minnie mouse hat for a topper for a cake that I was asked to make. I think I will probably use gumpaste to mold the hat over a half ball of styrofoam and letting it dry before I take it off. But I am not quite sure how to attach the ears to it once the base is dry. Or maybe I am going about this the wrong way. I have only recently started modeling with gumpaste. I have really only used it for making sugar flowers. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

3 replies
pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:34am
post #2 of 4

hello I have made 2 cakes with the mickey mouse head. I made them dome with sponge in an oven proof bowl and then convered it in black fondant. the ears I cut out circles in think black fondant (tho if I make it again I will use black gum paste) I put 2 cocktail sticks in the ears where they would be getting put in to the cake and then let them dry. Once dry I them put them into the cake. It works really well. I like to make as much of my cakes edible as I can.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 4

My first one I did like pinkjacs^^, but I had a little trouble. The ears were heavy and their weight pulled the sticks down through the cake and they slipped a litttle. The next time I made one I used RKT for the hat and the ears stayed put when I pushed the sticks in.

sugarprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarprincess Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much for your replies. What I would really like to do is make the entire hat out of gumpaste since the cake will already be two tiers. I was thinking of covering half a styrofoam ball with the gumpaste and letting it dry, then remove the styrofoam ball and then attach the ears to it.

Is it possible to do this? Has anyone done this before?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%