Wow! Hilary Duff's Wedding Cake...i Love It!

Decorating By suesweet Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 10:07pm by lyndim

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #61 of 116

I like the Martha Stewart one a lot more, but it still looks like it would be better for a bridal shower or a brunch than a wedding. THe Maise one is ok, but I don't like it for a wedding.

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:37am
post #62 of 116

AHHHH!!!! That is beyond awesome!!!!!!! I really like it! icon_biggrin.gif

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:50am
post #63 of 116

are you serious. I think this cake is UGLY. If this trend did catch on there would be no need for decorators, grandmas could whipp this up lol.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #64 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejewel

are you serious. I think this cake is UGLY. If this trend did catch on there would be no need for decorators, grandmas could whipp this up lol.

Watch it there! There are a lot of us Grammies on CC!! icon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm
post #65 of 116

I know the Duff family personally. The girls use to take dance from me when they were little, and acting from my sister who actually is the person who got them started in LA. I was HORRIFIED when I saw that cake. But it was what Hilary wanted so that is what she got, and all that matters is that she loved it. (no I was not invited to the wedding, I am just one dance teacher in a long list of teachers).

Another famous kiddo we taught and helped get started on her career is Renee' Olstead. This one my family still is connected to, we chat all the time on FB, and she calls my sister all the time since my sister is the one who took her to LA to begin with. They are very close. Anyway, she had a stacked donut tower for her 21st birthday. It is now my honest opinion that LA makes you go nutty...LOL! All kidding aside, I have very fond memories of these girls and am blessed that they were a part of my life at one time and love seeing the successes they have become.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:07pm
post #66 of 116

Wow - that cake is terrible! I can only imagine being a guest at that wedding and seeing that cake. Wow!

I never saw Chelsea's wedding cake. Anyone have the link?

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:17pm
post #67 of 116

Looks like Martha trimmed her cake so you could see the colors inside, not just the browned edges. So it has a finished look, not just dump put of the pan and slap buttercream on.

I think German Chocolate is the only type cake that can pull this off. Anything involving coconut pecan icing is perfection.

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #68 of 116

Overheard at Ms. Duff's cake consultation...."Ms. Duff, over here we have a VERY special cake...it is an enchanted cake, decorated by skilled professional fairies and only the PURE OF HEART and EXTRAORDINARILY GIFTED are able to see the exquisite decoration. You say you love it? Where may we send the bill?" And I myself think it is the most beautifully decorated cake I have ever seen on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #69 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemom51

Overheard at Ms. Duff's cake consultation...."Ms. Duff, over here we have a VERY special cake...it is an enchanted cake, decorated by skilled professional fairies and only the PURE OF HEART and EXTRAORDINARILY GIFTED are able to see the exquisite decoration. You say you love it? Where may we send the bill?" And I myself think it is the most beautifully decorated cake I have ever seen on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

As told by the same person who wrote "The Emperor's New Clothes" !!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:04pm
post #70 of 116

Cakesdivine:
You are absolutely right. The bride got what she wanted and asked for, and most probably was very happy with it.
The poster just asked what we thought about this new trend.

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm
post #71 of 116

[quote="kansaslaura"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejewel

Uh, yeah I am serious. My OPINION is I like the cake. I didn't think the majority of you would think this cake was so "ugly", "terrible", "horrifying", etc. But, that's what makes the world go round. Everyone has their own opinion. And, I don't necessarily think that this cake catching on as a trend would make us cake decorators obsolete because as witnessed in this topic, some people like it, some people don't. I personally think upside down cakes are stupid and ugly, but hey, just my opinion icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #72 of 116

Is it my screen or is the bottom layer on the top tier an odd shape (wider at the top than bottom) - and whats with the bulge in the center of the middle tier? icon_confused.gif

Can't say i am a fan - reminds me of the sponges we made in first year of high school - they had to be naked so as the teachers could see the edges and how many air pockets were around the cake ....
I see quite a few air pockets icon_wink.gif

We would use that airpocketed cake for triffle.

Bluehue

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:36pm
post #73 of 116

It's different and I like it.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #74 of 116

I think I am on the fence with it. It is beautiful in its natural raw kind of state - its simplicity makes it amazing, however, at the same time I would see the simplicity as a negative as well. It suits her and it really sends a message that although in the glitz and glamor of her famous status, she wanted to keep it simple yet elegant instead of flashy and ridiculous.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:46pm
post #75 of 116

I did one similiar (in my cake photos) but it had fruit and powdered sugar. Super easy...and I loved how it turned out. Assembled just a couple of hours before the event so everything was fresh. Got rave reviews from the bride!
Wasn't a look that required alot of fuss...but, that's kinda what she was going for.

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:53pm
post #76 of 116

hsmomma, your cake looks great and sounds oh so yummy! Care to share your recipes for the cake and the cheesecake mousse? Please icon_biggrin.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:00pm
post #77 of 116

Awful, hate it

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #78 of 116

I really don't see this as a trend in the making. But if a bride wanted that look I would of course comply. Heck don't we all do designs from time to time that make us scratch our heads, because the client wanted that design?

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #79 of 116

Dreadful. What's the point?

heatherhasstyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherhasstyle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:58pm
post #80 of 116

Personally, I would never want something like this for myself, but I do think there is something somewhat charming about it's simplicity and imperfection.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:08pm
post #81 of 116

I don't like it. looks messy and unfinished. Looks like a five year old kid did it icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:22pm
post #82 of 116

Really? Where is the "Dislike" button when you need it?

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #83 of 116

I kinda like it.... icon_redface.gif

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #84 of 116

That would be a perfect cake for me! I hate frosting. (I do like working with it.) I always eat 'around' the frosting. Maybe I'll do my b-day cake like this...hmmmmm...... icon_lol.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #85 of 116

The Maisie Fantaisie cake was beautiful. I am inspired now- what if something like that had some beautiful sugar flowers with some curly twigs and a few sugar butterflies perched on it? Even birds and nest? It has some definite decorating possibilities.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #86 of 116

I dont like it and I actually caught myself laughing out loud.....

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #87 of 116

I kinda like its simplicity too.... love all the roses surrounding it.

cindy531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy531 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:25pm
post #88 of 116

I don't care for it myself.

From OK magazine:
Hilary nixed frosting so the cake by Fantasy Frostings would look vintage-home-made to go with the warm, fuzzy, feeling of the wedding.

This is what Hillary had to say:

Im a little picky when things get to sweet, so the cake is more buttery and the frosting is a little sweeter, Hil explained. It has all these fresh flowers all over it.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #89 of 116

Well, sorry.....my "homemade" cakes are completely iced. icon_confused.gif

I guess it does have it's own charm, but I just really don't like it at all. thumbsdown.gif

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:44pm
post #90 of 116

FUGLEY!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%