6"x6" Square Cake, Need Ideas

Decorating By leily Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 12:53pm by all4cake

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 9

So I have an extra cake that we are dying to eat, but since it's made I want to decorate it and get another cake in my portfolio. Expecially since i'm trying to sell more squares.

So any ideas? I have browsed through the galleries, but nothinig is jumping out at me as most of the cakes that have come back are tiered wedding cakes.

I'm up for anything of with fondant or buttercream. I would like to do some more string work, but with two kids under 18 months right now it's just not something I can practice on right now.

8 replies
KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 9

Halloween is coming or look for Fall theme cakes--somthing you could sell for Thanksgiving.

Why not search the galleries for ideas based on theme ideas not the shape of the cake?

A square is just a blank canvas for whatever theme you want.

HTH
Kristy

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:45am
post #3 of 9

You do great work. Why don't you try doing a nice fall theme with chocolate leaves? The kind you make by painting real chocolate on the leaves. White chocolate can be colored for reds, yellows, and oranges.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:10am
post #4 of 9

I like the fall idea! Cover it in chocolate fondant with fall leaves in reds, yellow and orange - maybe a gold luster dust just to give it some sparkle

leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:32am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the ideas, i didn't even think about the holidays coming up! Unfortunately i didn't get to decorate this one b/c we had company and we used it as desert.

But i have another cake in the freezer that needs to be used. So definitely going to do something with leaves for fall/thanksgiving time.

Maybe i'll finally do one of those candle cakes. One half for thanksgiving the other half for christmas, get two holidays in one cake then!

Thanks!

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:45am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Thanks for the ideas, i didn't even think about the holidays coming up! Unfortunately i didn't get to decorate this one b/c we had company and we used it as desert.

But i have another cake in the freezer that needs to be used. So definitely going to do something with leaves for fall/thanksgiving time.

Maybe i'll finally do one of those candle cakes. One half for thanksgiving the other half for christmas, get two holidays in one cake then!

Thanks!

OK you have me curious now. icon_confused.gif What is a candle cake? Sounds interesting. If you have a picture of one, that would be fantastic. thumbs_up.gif
TIA
Vickey

leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #7 of 9

something like this icon_smile.gif Some use a real tea light candle and others use the little battery operated ones.
You can find a TON more if you do search of the galleries for "candle"

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1569748
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1538559
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1525622

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif I did a search last night and saw a few like that. I think that my mind was looking for something different since the OP is going to use a square cake and all that I saw were round.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 9

Thinking you were still gonna be working with a square...

one of my favorites...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1306975

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%