Imbc Decorating Question, Fondant Dec On Imbc?

Decorating By elizacake Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 5:43pm by SweetTater

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 6

I've only ever used it once on a cake that really didn't have much detail. I'm doing a cake for my best friend's wedding...she doesn't want the whole cake to be fondant covered. My question is for those of you that use it often...does it work with fondant decorations? I was concerned that I would have a hard time getting them to stick. Also, will the decorations even stay stiff and in their shape because of moisture from the IMBC? The cake is going to have fondant/gumpaste leaves trailing down the cake. Didn't know if this was really going to work or if I should instead use the shortening/butter based buttercream instead for crusting and stability purposes. Help! Anyone? Thanks in advance!

5 replies
cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 6

I do it often as I dont use american style buttercream at all in my shop. I have never had any issues. If my cake is chilled before I add the fondant accents, I use a piping bag with IMBC as glue to attach the details.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 6

i use smbc (pretty much the same thing as imbc, just different method) and use fondant on it all the time.

if gumpaste decorations are THOROUGHLY dried, putting them on the smbc/imbc is fine and they will not not droop or wilt.

i chill mine before adding the deocrations and usually i don't need to use anything to make them stick (except if they are not flat and are on the sides of the cake).

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:04am
post #4 of 6

Good info...I was curious about this too. Thanks!

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much for your imput! Any tips for keeping items attached that aren't flat to the cake?

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, any other tips? I'm attaching throughly dried gumpaste decorations to the side of a square cake right now. The cake has been in the fridge all night, so the imbc is nice and chilled. I'm applying the decorations with non-chilled imbc in a bag. Some of the decorations are larger and seem to be sliding down. I just put the cake in the freezer, maybe keep it in for 10 minutes. But I'm worried as the cake comes to room temperature, the decorations will slide off the cake! Help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%