Yes You Can Freeze Cakes! Woo Hoo!

Decorating By AngelinaMomof3 Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 6:49pm by tanu

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 23

Lastweek I posted on here asking about freezing cakes.. I was told, yes, many times. So I baked my cakes, carved my car and put a couple of smaller 'test' cakes torted and into the freezer.. I wrapped them 3 times with saran, and twice with thick aluminum foil.. I brought one out today and cut it in half. I let one half defrost at room temp and the other one in the aluminum foil.. First I have to say.. HOLY MOIST! It was just chocolate cake with buttercream but it tasted like a frozen Ho-Ho. It was delicious.. It did not fall apart, it was much more dense than before I put it in the freezer.. It was thick and moist.. I think I'm freezing all of my cakes from now on..

I know that those who do this all the time are saying 'No Poo stupid' but I'm posting solely for those who haven't frozen a cake but want to.. They were just normal cakes, no fondant... Just buttercream. And they are delicious! Next I'm going to freeze a fondant cake and see how it turns out..

Don't be afraid to freeze a normal cake... It DOES work and it IS SO TASTY!

22 replies
tanu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanu Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 23

that sounds encouraging! im gonna hav to try it! im a beginner and im happy if i could just get my cake completely level and buttercream smooth! lol if i could get it to as moist as you say then that would just make my day!
How long did u leave it in the freezer? and was it better when u defrosted while it was still wrapped or was it better when u defrost with the wrap taken off?

Thankx!

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 23

and i'll say this just to help the OP save on costs. i wrap my cakes with one layer of saran wrap and that is it before i put it in the freezer (for days at a time)! and i have the moistest, most delicious cakes (IMHO) icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

and i'll say this just to help the OP save on costs. i wrap my cakes with one layer of saran wrap and that is it before i put it in the freezer (for days at a time)! and i have the moistest, most delicious cakes (IMHO) icon_wink.gif

Yep. I will use 2 layers most of the time one in each direction just to be extra sure it's totally covered. but no way all that foil! toooo much $$$.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 23

'no poo stupid' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Angelina, congratulations on freezing those cakes. Although I'm a newbie as well, I'm actually considering getting a small stand-up freezer. The more obsessed I get with cakes, the more stuff you end up needing...sigh... My fridge/freezer is a side-by-side with ice and water in the door. Until cakes, I LOVED my freezer with the ice in the door--never had one before. Now, my darling freezer is too narrow, boo hoo.

When you are the only person doing this out of your home, freezing the multiple layers is about the only way you can get large cakes done without staying up 50 hours. I have only frozen cake, or cake with BC as the filling. I haven't frozen a crumb-coated, or completely buttercream covered cake. I've heard that fondant must shed the condensation. Everyone says to leave wrapped until fully defrosted so the condensation ends up outside the cake.

tanu -- as far as level cakes and getting BC smooth, I've learned some really good tips. I'll private message you.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 23

We taste no difference between the unwrapped and the wrapped as it defrosted.. But we think the taste of the chocolate is richer since it's been frozen.

Thank you UpAt2am and kansaslaura, the reason I wrapped it so much is because I wasn't putting it in a regular fridge freezer, I put it in a chest freezer so I thought cause it's a deep freeze it might need protected better... Still learning.. ~icon_smile.gif Oh and the layers they were once every direction with the aluminum foil, but it's a very long car cake so I wrapped it once long ways bottom and top then around the car with two pieces..

I only froze these for four days, the car cake will be frozen for 7.. Since two of my kids are in school but the youngest is at home I wanted to bake the cakes and put them in the freezer so that at least that part was done because a 4yr old doesn't let you get much done during the day when he's bored..lol The cake is due on thursday so I wanted to get as much done as I could and ready so that I wasn't rushing on Tues, Weds, Thurs(when the cake is due)

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 23

Apti, that's what I have, a chest freezer.. It's not a humongous one but it's roomy..

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 23

So UpAt2am and kansaslaura are you saying no foil? I thought that if I didn't wrap in foil it could get freezer burn.

tanu Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 23

tanu -- as far as level cakes and getting BC smooth, I've learned some really good tips. I'll private message you.[/quote]

thank you so much for the offer to pm! i guess you saw the one pic i have uploaded and figured oh yea she needs help! haha....ill be waiting thumbs_up.gif

kansaslaura Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #10 of 23

I might put a layer of foil around it if I was going to leave it in for over a week or so--but for a couple of days I'd just use the plastic wrap.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:08am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinaMomof3

So UpAt2am and kansaslaura are you saying no foil? I thought that if I didn't wrap in foil it could get freezer burn.

I wrap mine in saran wrap and freeze usually without foil...but then I generally only freeze the cakes I'm working on for that week so I don't really give it a chance to freezer burn. I would probably wrap in foil as well if I were going to keep it for a few weeks. Better safe than sorry!
BTW, I love crumb coating when the cake is frozen. I usually let it thaw slowly in the refrigerator while I layer on the buttercream. About the only time I let the cake come to room temp is after delivery. The cold cake travels better.

OP...As far as freezing fondant goes, you can...however expect a goopy finish once it starts to thaw. And you might have some issues with it sagging or developing air bubbles....BUT, if it looks stable then just keep it out and let it dry naturally.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #12 of 23

I agree, freezing a cake (before decorating) makes the cake moist and easier to work with. I do that all the time. But I wouldn't freeze a fondant-covered cake because as it comes back to room temperature, the fondant sweats, so if you have any buttercream or royal icing details on top of the fondant they disappear because of the condensation. And lately I haven't even been refrigerating my fondant-covered cakes (I use non-perishable filling) because I find that it causes blow outs - air that is trapped under the fondant to litterally rip through the fondant as it comes to room temperature.

UpAt2am Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:10am
post #13 of 23

yep, i've never used foil, but then again i've never frozen for more than 4-7 days. typically, i bake everything on tues./wed., fill and stack and crumbcoat wed. night, ice and smooth all of the cakes and make gumpaste decos (so they can start to dry) on thurs., and then decorate all of them on friday/sat. morning. i also do 6-8 cakes a weekend on average and most of them are two tiers or more. so one day of doing everything just wouldn't cut it icon_smile.gif

oh and i bake, let cool, level, and then wrap in saran wrap and stick in freezer. once frozen i fill and stack and trim (if needed), then crumbcoat. after it's crumbcoated, i stick in fridge. this way it comes from frozen to just cold. then i ice the cake and wait for it to crust. to speed the crusting process along, i have a dehumidifier and put it in a closet with the cake that is needing to crust. it crusts in 15-30 minutes flat!!! once smoothed, it goes back in fridge til i'm ready to decorate and stack. after it's completely decorated and stacked and finished, it goes back in the fridge til delivery. i love delivering a cold cake. it will come to room temp at the event/vanue/etc.!!! i also use tons of perishable fillings so that's another reason why i fridge so much! HTH!

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:45am
post #14 of 23

Im still confused...pls forgive my slowness icon_smile.gif . Is it better to let the cake thaw in the wrap or should the cake be removed from the wrap to thaw? Im a little phobic about any cake going anywhere near a fridge or freezer so I would love to prove myself wrong and try this "cake freezing" thing this weekend.

Thanks a bunch
Stacey

UpAt2am Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:04am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey71

Im still confused...pls forgive my slowness icon_smile.gif . Is it better to let the cake thaw in the wrap or should the cake be removed from the wrap to thaw? Im a little phobic about any cake going anywhere near a fridge or freezer so I would love to prove myself wrong and try this "cake freezing" thing this weekend.

Thanks a bunch
Stacey

essentially i don't let them thaw at all until the cakes are filled, stacked, crumbcoated and iced. take them out of the freezer, unwrap them right away and start filling, stacking, trimming and crumbcoating. then stick in the fridge til you're ready to ice, crust, smooth, etc.

kansaslaura Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:05am
post #16 of 23

I always thaw mine wrapped. If not, it will loose moisture.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanu

tanu -- as far as level cakes and getting BC smooth, I've learned some really good tips. I'll private message you.

thank you so much for the offer to pm! i guess you saw the one pic i have uploaded and figured oh yea she needs help! haha....ill be waiting thumbs_up.gif[/quote]

lol you really made me laugh there!
And btw your cake is really pretty. love the piping and the flowers icon_smile.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 23

I would just caution about stacking too many fresh (meaning unfrozen) layers on top of each other in the freezer. The bottom layer bears the weight of the other layers on top of it and can get smooshed. (If the cake is already frozen, it doesn't matter how many cakes you pile on top of it.)

Apti Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I would just caution about stacking too many fresh (meaning unfrozen) layers on top of each other in the freezer. The bottom layer bears the weight of the other layers on top of it and can get smooshed. (If the cake is already frozen, it doesn't matter how many cakes you pile on top of it.)

That is why I'm considering getting a small stand up freezer vs. a chest freezer. I've already had the smooshing happen.

sophie691 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophie691 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #20 of 23

Thank you all for so much information. Is there a book that I can buy that teaches this tech.??

Apti Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:25am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie691

Thank you all for so much information. Is there a book that I can buy that teaches this tech.??

Sophie, Not sure I understand your question. What tech(nique)?

sophie691 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophie691 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:37pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie691

Sophie, Not sure I understand your question. What tech(nique)?

I have heard of freezing the cakes...but many have said not to. I have recently been told that it works great. I am a beginner so it seems conflicting. I do want to try it though.
I just didnt know that you could freeze,torte,fill,crumbcoat and then back to freezer? It seems as though it would thaw out while doing so much.
Would these be the correct steps to take??
Thank you for your help.

tanu Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:49pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanu

thank you so much for the offer to pm! i guess you saw the one pic i have uploaded and figured oh yea she needs help! haha....ill be waiting thumbs_up.gif

lol you really made me laugh there!
And btw your cake is really pretty. love the piping and the flowers icon_smile.gif[/quote]

LOL icon_biggrin.gif.....thnks for the compliment! I had fun doin this cake even tho it was far from what i wanted it to look like haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%