Sunbeam Mixmaster Parts

Decorating By sweet_honesty Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm by kansaslaura

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 17

My Sunbeam Heritage Series Mixmaster 2347 recently started making a grinding noise from the bowl spin mechanism and I noticed metal filings falling out of the bottom.

So I opened her up and took a peek and realised that the shaft was out of alignment and so my gears were grinding. The gear teeth are totally shot. It looks as though some sort of spacer or something was missing or had worn away.

Why anyone would go to the trouble of giving me perfectly sound metal gears and then leave the alignment of them dependent on a plastic spacer is beyond me.

So between my dad and I we fashioned a spacer to realign the gears but I know that won't last too long with those teeth so worn. Anyone have any clue where I can find parts for this mixer. All my searches so far have returned accessories like beaters and bowls but nothing for the innards. All I need is that one gear.

*Sigh*

16 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 17

Sunbeam ® Product & Parts
www.HouseholdAppliance.com Sunbeam ® Factory Authorized Full Line.Sunbeam Parts & Appliances.

Might have to email and ask about gears.

HTH

marye910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marye910 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 17

My Sunbeam mixer bit the dust a couple of years ago and I called the only repair shop within 100 miles and they told me just to buy a new one. Mine was making the same sound and it would have cost more to send it and get it fixed (assuming they could even fix it) than to buy a new one. I ended up buying a KitchenAid and I love it.

sweet_honesty Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks JanH. I'll drop them a line. I would hate to have to dump an otherwise perfectly fine mixer for the sake of a gear.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 17

Maybe you could find another of the same model at a garage sale, and use it for parts.

And I'd like to add that I am VERY impressed with your mechanical abilities! Whenever I take something apart, I always have leftover doohickies and thingamajigs that won't fit back in.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye910

My Sunbeam mixer bit the dust a couple of years ago and I called the only repair shop within 100 miles and they told me just to buy a new one. Mine was making the same sound and it would have cost more to send it and get it fixed (assuming they could even fix it) than to buy a new one. I ended up buying a KitchenAid and I love it.

Sadly, that is the way it is with a lot of things. Makes no sense to me when we're beat over the head with being Green.. recycling--etc and then we're sold what boils down to "disposable" appliances.

Oh I could go on and on about the hypocracy of all this...

cutthecake Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

and then we're sold what boils down to "disposable" appliances....

We were at Staples, looking for a new printer. When I asked about replacement ink cartridges, the salesman said we'd be better off just buying a new printer each time because the ink costs almost as much as the printer. THAT makes sense. Disposable printers, too!

sweet_honesty Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:

Sadly, that is the way it is with a lot of things. Makes no sense to me when we're beat over the head with being Green.. recycling--etc and then we're sold what boils down to "disposable" appliances.

Oh I could go on and on about the hypocracy of all this...

I know!! I mean it's a perfectly good almost all metal housing. All I need is this one fiddly bit and it's perfectly fine. I'm sure they have tons of 'em at the factory.....

I could just buy a new mixer but it seems like such a waste to me. Even if I do buy something new I'm still hell bent on fixing this old one. It served me well for 5 odd years and it still has lots of life left....I just know it.

kansaslaura Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Quote:

and then we're sold what boils down to "disposable" appliances....

We were at Staples, looking for a new printer. When I asked about replacement ink cartridges, the salesman said we'd be better off just buying a new printer each time because the ink costs almost as much as the printer. THAT makes sense. Disposable printers, too!

That makes me FUME!!! And then they harp on tossing a battery in the trash. GET real!! Tackle the real problems, not the tiny little ones. I get weary of seeing bikes and mowers from Wal-Mart on the curbs nearly every trash day!

Just an FYI there are several sellers on eBay (I buy ALL mine on eBay) that specialize in ink cartridges and they are MUCH CHEAPER than anywhere else and usually free shipping.

sweet_honesty Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:35pm
post #10 of 17

No luck so far with the Sunbeam parts.

Seriously considering KitchenAid for a replacement. Anyone know how I can ascertain for sure if the gearbox cover for the Pro 600 is made of metal????

kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 17

The only way is to call the company, I'd think. My suggestion is to try to find an older model KA made by Hobart. I've bought one off eBay and it's awesome.

cutthecake Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 17

I gave up on Sunbeam after about 30 years of being a devoted customer. Their customer service was awful, and I converted to KA. I loved my old Mixmasters, but dealing with the company was a nightmare, and I told them so.

kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:30am
post #13 of 17

I bought a new Mixmaster a couple of years ago and kept it less than 24 hours. It wouldn't even mix cookie dough. I bought an old one at a yard sale, it's yellow but it's a beast! I love old mixers. I even have an old ...er.. vintage handmixer I bought at a sale that puts the new ones to shame.

sweet_honesty Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 17

It can't be so hard to find a gear can it??????? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I found a single company online that seems to have just one in stock. They are Australian however and the Aussie model numbers are different from the American. So I contacted them to ask if there were American equivalents model to the Aussie ones and they said they have no way of cross-referencing.... Bah humbug...

kansaslaura Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 17

No way should it be that hard!!! It's just another way they force you to spend more money to replace junk with junk.

Is there anyone in your family/neighborhood or on your radar that is a machinist or welder? Sometimes those guys can make the most amazing things *like replacement gears*... my dad was that way.

sweet_honesty Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 17

I'm exploring those options as I type kansaslaura. My sister is already on the case with me as well.I don't give up that easily...

kansaslaura Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 17

You're my kind of people!! You go girl!

Also, just a future FYI--I've got a couple of old sunbeams in a big cupboard out in my garage I've picked up at yard sales--Maybe you should start watching for mixers you can cannibalize...

Hey.. wonder if a gear from one of those would work? I'm always seeing them at goodwill, etc..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%