White Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By careylynn Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm by careylynn

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a wedding cake in Oct. and plan on using white chocolate ganache under fondant since the flavor is white cake/ lemon buttercream. I have always done dark chocolate gananche, so this will be the first time I use white chocolate. I did a run through this week using ghiradelli white chocolate chips and didn't like the result. I used a 3:1 ratio but it didn't seem to be the texture I wanted it. Almost like the cocoa butter didn't melt well. I need some advice on brands on white chocolate to use. I know the high end quality is the best (callebraut, etc) but its way out of my price league. I'm looking for a middle of the road chocolate. Like around $30 per 5 lbs. Any suggestions??? Has anyone used merckens?

7 replies
fairmaiden0101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairmaiden0101 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 8

I actually just did a strawberry white chocolate ganache on a cake for family(given, it was not a wedding) but I used plain old nestle white chips and everyone thought it tasted awesome. It melted perfectly, and spread lovely! Price...you can't beat it! HTH

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 8

I've used Nestle's white morsels several times...12oz. bag + 1/2 cup of heavy cream...it works great. Very easy to smooth with a hot spatula.

I recently tried Baker's white chocolate squares...worked also, but it was more yellow in color and a little runnier than the morsels.

They both have a similar sweet taste, not overly sweet though...in my opinion. I really like the flavors and being a hobby baker the price works for me.

Keep in mind, Nestle's is not real white chocolate...it has oils or whatever in it...some people are disgusted by that, but to my unsophisticated palate they're just fine. I eat them straight out of the bag too.

I've never tried Merken's for ganache.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 8

The last time I did WC ganache I used Merckens and it worked beautifully with a lovely white color. It's not bad price wise but definitely more expensive than Nestles.

careylynn Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 8

Bonnell, did you use the "real" white chocolate by merckens or the compound coating?

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:58am
post #6 of 8

Careylynn,
I used the "real" white chocolate not the candy coating.

careylynn Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Bonnell, I just ordered some merckens real white chocolate. I'm excited to use it. I think the ghiradelli didn't turn out the way I wanted it because it wasn't "real" white chocolate, with the cocoa butter. I did some research and most white chocolate on shelfs is made with oil. So, I'm anxious to try out the merckens. :

careylynn Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 8

After the fact...Merckens worked out great!!!!! And, it was about the same cost as using nestle or ghiradelli icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%