Have You Bought Items From Ebay?

Decorating By wannabe_cake_maker Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm by bobwonderbuns

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 15

Hey all, I was just wondering if any of you have bought items off of ebay and were happy with your purchase? Did you get a good deal and what seller did you use?

14 replies
jerseygirlNga Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 15

I buy lots from ebay. Picked up fondant/gumpaste tools for a fraction of what they sell for in cake stores/Michaels/Hobby Lobby (unless you have 40-50% coupons). I just started getting in clay cutters which work just as well and are a fraction of the costs, sometimes.

I purchase fondant (pre-made) gumpaste, when I get lazy, from www.fondantsource.com, who I found on ebay. All things considered, I save about $20 per 20lb bucket and all I have to do is open my front door.

My next purchase will be an airbrush and will most likely come from Ebay but the deal I missed out on (I fell asleep) was an AGBAY that went for $57. Don't rule out Ebay, always use Paypal and you will love the convenience. As far as sellers...depends on whose selling!!!

iheartcupkakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 15

i have bought silver edible paint.. then went to the same seller and got the gold and the pearl... was cheaper to buy all 3 together.. different seller has cake dummies.. huge deal with those got 2 sets of 4 for under 25 with shipping.. and i have gotten numerous molds and tools and great prices

Cake_Karen Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 15

Use E-bay all the time to get many supplies. There are some great shops on there. Just check out feedback before buying and you will know if people are happy with the service they give.

kansaslaura Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 15

I've bought and sold for years on eBay--it's my first go to on the net for anything.

I've even bought an old model KA on eBay and it's awesome!!

scp1127 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #6 of 15

Great for cake stands and cupcake stands. I have never gotten a bad deal on ebay.

tesso Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #7 of 15

ebay is fabulous!!

Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 3:23am
post #8 of 15

I have gotten some cake pans on ebay for way less than I would of paid at Hobby Lobby for them. I always read the reviews on who's selling to make sure what other people think about them.

wannabe_cake_maker Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 15

So I bit the bullet and bought the FMM funky tappits from ebay, both small and capital letters for $20 Canadian. Now to see if duty gets charged thumbsdown.gif

scp1127 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 15

I forgot to mention this... when I go to ebay, I always compare the prices to amazon.com. They are just as good and as reliable.

sabre Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 15

I bought numerous items from Cake Depot on eBay. Their customer service is the greatest and their 100% feedback is well deserved.

HobbyCaker Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 15

I buy a lot of stuff from ebay. My air brush, edible image copier, fondant supplies, tools, Never had a problem yet. I live out in the middle of no-where and it is cheaper for me to pay postage than drive to nearest large city, (120 mls)

sabre Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 15

I forgot to mention that Kitchen Aid has a store on eBay where I bought many wonderful items along with a great mixer.

Joyfull4444 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #14 of 15
Originally Posted by wannabe_cake_maker

So I bit the bullet and bought the FMM funky tappits from ebay, both small and capital letters for $20 Canadian. Now to see if duty gets charged thumbsdown.gif

I'm in Canada and have used ebay a lot. I had to pay duty once for some unknown reason, but that was the only time. The rest of my orders I've never paid duty/export fees.

I did get stiffed by a seller once for 65 bucks tho. Never did get the books I paid for. The seller disapeared from ebay shortly after so no luck in getting my money back. She only replied to one of my email inquiries, saying the books had been sent & must be held up at the border or lost in transit. Not so.. There never was any books as she dealt through a 3rd party seller. (still not quite clear on that) Other that that one unpleasant sneak of a seller, I've been quite satisfied with the rest.

I don't think you'll have any problems having to pay duty unless you buy through a proper store/shop. A shop that sells thier products on ebay as well as in thier walk in shops. They you might..

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 15

I don't like Ebay, it gives me hives, but I have purchased from there. I get my cake plateaus from there (have used several different vendors) and my cookie stamps (a fetish of mine) from all kinds of people. I've purchased from Kathy Scott for years now. I think her store is closed on Ebay for a while though. But I do tend to spend money I don't have if I just "browse" so I just stick to what I need and move on. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%