Im having problems melting candy melts for cakesicles. Ive tried slowly in the microwave, using the defrost in the microwave and even a double boiler and no luck. I want it to melt thin and smooth to coat them easily. Any suggestions?
What problems are you having? If the chococlate is too thick after melting, try adding a little bit of Crisco. Also, be very careful not to get water in the chocolate, as water will make the chocolate seize up.
Its too hard. It goes through a few seconds of smooth but all the chips arent melted yet. By the time they all melt (and I keep stirring it) its way to thick and starting to harden.
Crisco oil or shortening? Do I add it during the melting?
Thanks for your help.
Ive seen where people put the candy in plastic squirt bottles to fill their candy molds and mine never gets thin enough to do it. Im using the wiltons candy melts and Ive tried the regular and premium.
I make buckeyes with choc. chips and I put parowax in them. Would that help with the candy melts?
If you're getting to that point you're probably overheating them. When you do it in the microwave do it for short bursts and stir a lot after each one. That will help melt those extra chips that aren't quite there yet and keep you from overheating.
You can try adding a little bit of shortening at a time to smooth out the chocolate.
Be careful not to overheat it. Overheating will scorch the chocolate, and you don't want to do that. I've never added wax, but I have read that some people do.
Thanks for all the info.
If Im wanting to put the candy pieces in a squirt bottle for putting in candy molds, how should I do that? Melt first or do you melt them while its in the bottle?
if the candy melts are old they will not melt as smooth. get a brand new bag and see if that helps. i've had that happen to me also
I would melt them first before I put the chocolate in the bottle.
Also, you have to be very careful about water. One drop will seize your chocolate right up. Even when using a double boiler to melt the chocolate, you don't want the water boiling up so high that it is touching the bowl that has the chocolate in it. That will also cause you problems.
If you want your melted candy melts or chocolate to set up soft, add Crisco.
If you want them to set up shiny and hard, you need to add paramount crystals (found online or at cake deco stores).
I recently did a BUNCH of white chocolate baby bottles for a shower and what I did was melt a bit of white chocolate and added a touch of pink to make the band at the top and then I painted it in the mold first, cooled it. then I topped it with the white chocolate.
And honestly, the BEST way I've found to melt chocolate is to get a small heavy saucepan, put your chips in there and put directly over the heat (I know, I know...not supposed to do that) but I take a wooden spoon and start stirring like crazy the minute the chips hit the pan. Then I keep stirring until they're melted...which is hardly anytime at all. I use a medium heat and keep the handle of the saucepan in my other hand while I'm stirring in case I need to lift it off the direct heat for a second or two while they melt. I can't tell you how much easier this is. I've done the double boiler method, I tried the microwave, but they kept seizing in there no matter how little time I put on the timer.
This kind of chocolate will not go into a bottle well...and honestly you probably don't need to. I spread my chocolate into the molds to the top and then got my small offset spatula and wiped the top of the mold with the edge to clear off the excess. Then put the excess back in the saucepan. Easy peasy!