Copyrights

Decorating By dulcecakes Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 11:24pm by Coral3

dulcecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcecakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:46am
post #1 of 10

I am new to the cake business and I have a question: Does anyone know if it is some kind of copyright infringement to recreate licensed characters (mario, buzz lightyear, ariel, etc) on a cake for a client?

9 replies
Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #2 of 10

Yes. You can not recreate licensed characters, logos, etc that are copyrighted. The character pans that they sell are for home use only and are not to be sold.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:03am
post #3 of 10

Just wondering, but wouldn't selling cakes with fondant copy righted characters be the same thing as selling a cake made from a character pan? After all your still selling it with something that has been copy righted on it.

Sucrea Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2ThreeBoys

Just wondering, but wouldn't selling cakes with fondant copy righted characters be the same thing as selling a cake made from a character pan? After all your still selling it with something that has been copy righted on it.

Yes. Maybe I wasn't clear. You can not recreate any character or logo that is copyrighted and sell it. It doesn't matter if you purchased the pan or made it from scratch or just made a figurine for the top of a cake.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #5 of 10

Got ya, it just looks like many do though.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:46am
post #6 of 10

There was a pretty long detailed thread on this awhile back titled "warning about licensed characters" or something like that. I don't know how to paste it here and should remember the title because I started it! It was locked, I don't know why, but there is some good info there! ~Rachel

Sucrea Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:06am
post #7 of 10

I know that I have done a few but they aren't sold. They are strickly for my family.

dulcecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcecakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the responses! That was helpful. I have one more question, do the same copyright laws apply to branded products ( pepsi, nintendo wii, ipod, etc)?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, the laws apply to anything with a copyright.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 10

...but I guess the question is has anyone ever actually been slapped with a lawsuit over recreating a licensed/copyrighted image on cake? Do companies care about cakes, or (for example) are they more concerned with people who start bulk printing t-shirts with their copyrighted character/logo on them to sell?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%