My Icing Is In The Mixer As We Speak!!!! Got A ?

Baking By JanessaJo Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 10:41pm by sweetmonkeycheese

JanessaJo Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:18am
post #1 of 18

so ive posted on here before about how i make indedyb's buttercreme and it always comes out grainy....no matter what tricks i use

this time making it i've noticed that it stays nice and creamy up until the majority of the powdered sugar is in it

its in the mixer now and has been mixing on high for 20 minutes and looks as grainy as usual =( the cakes finished touch looks horrible and i really wanted this cake to look wonderful....

so any ideas? would adding a little bit more crisco help?

17 replies
deMuralist Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 18

what liquid do you use? I used heavy cream in the one I made tonight and it is by far the creamiest I have done of that recipe. I did Kahlua cupcakes and wanted to have the icing taste like cream, for Kahlua and cream.

So is it the right consistency but grainy or is it thick and grainy?

Have you tried changing the brand of powdered sugar? sifting it? And maybe you just don't need all of the powdered sugar. Mine was a tad gritty when I used a particular store's brand sugar. I had thought it was from the dream whip, so the next time I made it without the dream whip and realized it was the powdered sugar.

JanessaJo Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:40am
post #3 of 18

yeah its definitely not the dream whip, learned that tonight

its the right consistency, just grainy looking. and when it gets frosted and crust it looks horrible!

and this time i just used milk, but i have used heavy cream, half and half, and coffee creamer before and always get the same result....

JanessaJo Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #4 of 18

i just took some frosting out and added more crisco to the stuff left in the mixer, and it did help it a little, i may just add more in the whole batch

my poor mixer is hot, lol

leily Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:09am
post #5 of 18

what brand of PS are you using? Is it beat sugar? Is it 10x sugar? It
sounds like it's the powdered sugar you're using since it's smooth up to that point.

Caths_Cakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:10am
post #6 of 18

when i have to make large batches of buttercream, rather than sifting all my ps, i put it all in a blender and whizz it for a min, gets out all the lumps makes it nice and fine and no sifting needed icon_smile.gif

Suzisweet Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanessaJo

i just used milk, but i have used heavy cream, half and half, and coffee creamer before and always get the same result....

Did not go and read the recipe or directions for it but the recipe I follow I use any of the above (usually heavy cream though) but I ALWAYS heat it. I think that this tends to break down the sugar a little bit.

Suzi

Suzisweet Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

when i have to make large batches of buttercream, rather than sifting all my ps, i put it all in a blender and whizz it for a min, gets out all the lumps makes it nice and fine and no sifting needed icon_smile.gif

WOW, what a good idea, I will be sure to try that next time too....on occassion, if I could see a few bumps in the sugar I would use my second bowl (Kitchen Aide) and a wisk and just wisk it but the blender sounds like a much better way to make the sugar even finer.
THANKS!!!!

deMuralist Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 18

I have actually made my own powdered sugar when I ran out and needed a bit more for consistency. I put regular sugar in the processor and whirled the heck out of it. Actually tastes better because there is nothing in it to keep it from clumping, but would not work in a large batch.

JanessaJo Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 18

I use the dominos 10x powdered sugar, i heat the liquid every time, and even when using heavy cream it always comes out grainy

made the cake and honestly, it looked like poo....would not smooth

i added 2 pics, the quality of the pics isnt good because of my phone and the lighting in my kitchen, but i think you can still see the how bad the frosting looks

JanessaJo Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 18

well i tried to add an attachment but it's not working

myslady Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 18

what kind of shortening are you using

JanessaJo Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 18

crisco

deMuralist Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 18

I am stumped, maybe you can pm either indydebi or mamawrobin both use this recipe and are very good at figuring these things out.

I noticed the other day, that if I apply the icing with a pastry bag and large tip it squeezes out many air bubbles and was easier to smooth, but I don't think that is your issue.

Maybe less powdered sugar?

sorry wish I could be of more help.

edited to add: I just remembered that Indydebi posted a set of pictures of what hers looks like as she is making it. don't know where that is, but ask her, it might help you.

ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 18

When I overmix in my 20qt mixer...I will get a grainy batch. I only have one speed with my 20qt. and it is faster than my #1 speed on my Kitchen Aid. I've never had grainy with my KA, but always mix on #1 speed. I do not use dream whip or meringue powder and use heavy whipping cream as my liquid. I had an entire batch in my 20qt turn grainy. I was so mad. Hope you figure out your prob.

deMuralist Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #16 of 18

I mix in my Cuisinart on 4 for 20 mins after everything (including the dream whip) is added. then use it the next day.

JanessaJo Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:20pm
post #17 of 18

thanks for your responses! I hope to figure it out soon so I can be more confident in making cakes because I want to start making more, but I have got to get this frosting right first!!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:41pm
post #18 of 18

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%