Can You Make Pleated Swags In Advance???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Cakers! icon_biggrin.gif

I have a princess cake I am going to do in the near future. I like to make as much as possible in advance. I am just brainstorming. More than likely it is going to be a 10" round cake. I have a 10" round dummy. Can I make the pleated swags on the dummy a few weeks in advance and successfully transfer to the real cake.

My only concern is with the swags fitting to the cake. If making advance, they are taking the shape of the dummy. Will it match up to the real cake?

Thanks
Michael
icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Mikel79 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 5

I guess this means no?? icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

lollyponpon Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 5

hey, this is no good for you but could you tell me what a sleated swag is? sounds interesting,,,

Suzisweet Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 5

What are the other elements on the cake? I would make all other pieces ahead of this as the pleats can be made fairly easy, and quickly if draping over cake to make a dress.
Describe the cake as how you will build and exactly what it will be and maybe CCers can help more.

To be very direct to your question though, you could do them in advance but it may not be an exact fit...there are always work arounds though, such as putting a ball of fondant under a spot that may be lifted above where the cake actually is (hope that makes sense). Whatch those sharp edges of the dummy though unless you ganache your real cakes and have those sharp edges too.

I did a bridal dress cake and did all of the dress on the spot and after it was stacked as well so the dress could cascade naturally.
Suzi

Mikel79 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thx!

It is just going to be a round cake with a picture on top of some princesses. I wanted to drape swags around the top edge.

I probably will wait so that they are fresh, and I can get exact fits!

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%