Cake For Topsy Turveys

Decorating By Holly123 Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm by brincess_b

Holly123 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 9

What kind of cake do you use for topsy turvey cakes? I made my first and I always use Pillsbury box mixes. The cake seemed to be to soft and didn't really hold it's topsy turvey shape. Help???

8 replies
tastyart Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 9

I use a WASC for topsy turvy cakes.

sweetheart6710 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

Pillsbury very works for me either. They put pudding in the mix, which makes it SOO moist, but not great for carving or stacking. If you are set on using box mixes, I use Betty Crocker, or Duncan Hines. But more times then not, I use the WASC recipe from this site. But if you search the recipes, there are tons posted that mention in the description 'great for stacking/carving' HTH. I'm pretty new still myself, so I don't have all the knowledge others have, but I do know Pillbury is not your best bet. Good Luck!

Sassy74 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 9

Sugarshack has a recipe in her blog that's specifically mixed for carving. It's quite thick, and bakes up moist, but firm. Perfect!

If you go to her blog archives, it's listed under "A Few of My Favorite Things" and it was posted sometime around Christmas. HTH!

mareg Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 9

I use WASC.

Apti Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:19am
post #6 of 9

A demo instructor at ICES used this cake for a boot! I've made it with a raspberry swirl addition and it tastes fabulous and doesn't require filling between the layers, only a thin smear of buttercream. I also have a new method of constructing topsy turvy's from another ICES instructor (she gave permission) if you want to pm.

Cream cheese pound cake ( courtesy of a lovely lady: pohlmanscakes.com)
1 pkg (18.25 ounce) fudge or white cake mix
package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place all in a mixing bowl. Blend on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides again if needed. Do not over mix. Bake at 325 degrees F.

Raspberry swirl: Mix about ¼ cup raspberry sleeve filling into batter. Fill pan ½ way, using about a #5-#7 tip size opening, swirl raspberry onto batter, then fill up rest of pan. (If the swirl is too thick it takes forever to bake and changes how the cake rises)
If you want to add raspberry powder, just add to taste in batter (probably 1-2 heaping tsps) Powder is hard to find. I got mine at faeriesfinest.com, also available at MySpicer.com

CakeCrystals Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 9

Can you PM the instructions for topsy turvy too. I love the topsy turvy design and is always looking to learn new techniques. I have Sharon Zambito's DVD but would like to learn a new way of doing topsy turvy.

Crystal icon_biggrin.gif

conchita Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

A demo instructor at ICES used this cake for a boot! I've made it with a raspberry swirl addition and it tastes fabulous and doesn't require filling between the layers, only a thin smear of buttercream. I also have a new method of constructing topsy turvy's from another ICES instructor (she gave permission) if you want to pm.

Cream cheese pound cake ( courtesy of a lovely lady: pohlmanscakes.com)
1 pkg (18.25 ounce) fudge or white cake mix
package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place all in a mixing bowl. Blend on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides again if needed. Do not over mix. Bake at 325 degrees F.

Raspberry swirl: Mix about ¼ cup raspberry sleeve filling into batter. Fill pan ½ way, using about a #5-#7 tip size opening, swirl raspberry onto batter, then fill up rest of pan. (If the swirl is too thick it takes forever to bake and changes how the cake rises)
If you want to add raspberry powder, just add to taste in batter (probably 1-2 heaping tsps) Powder is hard to find. I got mine at faeriesfinest.com, also available at MySpicer.com

thank you I will try this thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 9

this video helped me a lot

practice is deinatly needed for this kind of cake. althought o be honest, i do them pink cake box style, with straight sides. ive done it with maderia sponge with good results, but i do want to try pound cake.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%