How Do I Perfect The 1M Swirl?

Baking By kirigami Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:13am by imagenthatnj

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 13

Ok I have 100 mini cupcakes to do for tomorrow and I am struggling with the 1M swirl. icon_cry.gif What angle should I be holding the tip. I stand directly over my cupcake and pipe straight down. I do an outside swirl no problem, then the swirl on top. When I step back it is invariably crooked. Urghh, I get 1 good one out of 4. Is there a trick? If it is just practice I should get the hang of it after 100. LOL icon_lol.gif

12 replies
sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 13

Make sure to move slow and use a heavy pressure. I always find when I'm in a hurry the second swirl isn't as full because I'm not squeezing hard enough. And if you are moving too fast, the icing stretches as you go and pulls itself thin (if that makes sense). Practice is the #1 thing. Practice different techiniqes on some parchment, then scrap it back into your bag until you get a good fluid motion.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 13

When I do mine, I have to hold the cupcake in one hand and pipe with the other. I just sit down at my table (no leaning or straining my back) and hold my cupcake in my non-piping hand. That way, I can rotate it a little while I'm piping. Also, be sure you're holding your tip well above the top of the cupcake so you're not dragging it through your icing as you rotate. Just try to relax and not think about it too much. After 100 of them, you'll be a pro!

Kamstor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamstor Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 13

I was having the same issue two weeks ago while practicing my swirl for 150 wedding cupcakes. My first swirl would come out ok then my second one not so good. What I fianlly realzied was that my 1m tip was bent in just sligtly and I was also stressing adding to the pressure. I got a new tip and told my self this was just practice and if they don't turn out that is ok. After a few cupcakes and a new tip they turned out awesome. I also think some of it had to do with the fact that I am a perfectionist and that was stressing me out more. I hate to say it but maybe approach it with the I don't care attitude to take the stress off of you. Good Luck you will do awesome. Also if you click on my photo's you can see my swirls and hopefully it will give you some insperation. Let me know how they turn out.

kirigami Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #5 of 13

Thanks everyone. I think part of my problem was that there was a hole in the centre when I did my first swirl. If I wasn't careful my 2nd swirl would sink in. I managed to do my hundred and was happy with how they turned out.

Kamstor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamstor Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #6 of 13

Awesome knew you could do it. Have any pictures for the rest of use to have some inspiration?

kirigami Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 13

I attached a pic but I guess it didn't work. I will upload to my pictures

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #8 of 13

Could someone please explain about the "first" and "second" swirls? Do they go in the same or opposite directions? Clockwise or counter clockwise?
Thanks.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Could someone please explain about the "first" and "second" swirls? Do they go in the same or opposite directions? Clockwise or counter clockwise?
Thanks.

They are one continuous line of icing...not one first and and a second swirl.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:10am
post #10 of 13

New to cupcakes ... what is the 1M swirl ?

thanks

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #11 of 13

It's a swirl done with the 1M tip.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:59am
post #12 of 13

try doing a google image search, I bet you'll recognise the results as it seems to be the most commonly used tip for cuppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

New to cupcakes ... what is the 1M swirl ?

thanks

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:13am
post #13 of 13

LuvLyrics, click on this link.

It's just the pretty swirl made with the 1M special (big) tip from Wilton.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/1M-Swirl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%