Another Business Name Thread...

Business By zaco Updated 8 Oct 2010 , 12:33am by kristanashley

zaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zaco Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 19

I'm thinking about selling cakes from my house. Looked into the process of getting my kitchen certified and it doesn't seem too complicated.
Anyway my tentative name is ZacO Cakes. I chose ZacO because some of my friends call me that, and my last name begins with an O. It's also kinda youthful and different...which I am lol. I've used this name for my blog and such but honestly I've never really loved it. I have asked a couple friends and they seem to agree...it is ok but not great. So I'm looking for more opinions. Thanks!

18 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 19

It is cute but if it doesn't feel right and you're not into it, then don't use it. You'll want something to when you hear it, you'll think there is no way it could be anything different.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 19

I agree with Malakin-if you aren't feelin' it don't go with it. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago-I felt like choosing the name was the hardest part. I wanted something quirky, but something that represented me. We live in a little yellow cottage so I was almost sold on Yellow Cottage Cakery until one night I was having wine with my mother and we both randomely thought of Pink Crush. We automatically knew it was the name-without a doubt! I love it every time I hear it. Go with some thing that gets you excited-that you can't wait to see in lights on your store front! I think you are looking for the same kind of thing as me-young and fun and hip. The one word name was a big trend the last few years and so I googled that and found a club called Crush-and then my fav. color was Pink icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 19

plus in an alphabetical listing of cakers in your area, you will always be last on the list.

zaco Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks for the input. I needed to hear from someone else that if I'm not 100% feeling it I shouldn't do it. What do you think about Sugar Storm? Too dark?

BTW adventuregal, I'm glad you were able to come up with Pink Crush. Pretty cool!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 19

Sugar Rush is kinda cool and similar to Sugar Storm????

zaco Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 19

Hahaha it is so funny you mention that. I almost worked at a place called Sugar Rush but it was in Canada, I'm in the US. Still I feel like I would be copying. Time to think it over.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 19

YEA IT'S HARD COMING UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL icon_cool.gif

zaco Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 19

It has been a while...been busy and also hate trying to come up with something good and different but the time is coming and I really have to! I have a couple ideas I like and I'd really appreciate input from people who know cake!

Painted Zebra Cakes: I like this because it has the letter Z from my name, the logo would be abstract zebra stripes in different colors. Since I like non-traditional stuff, this suits as the traditional black and white zebra is colored.

Chimerical Cakes: I really like the way this sounds, and the meaning of the word is perfect(which I won't post here because I want to know what people who don't know it will think). The biggest drawback I have with this name is that I worry people will have trouble with the spelling...it's not the easiest thing to remember if you see it on a flyer, but I otherwise love it.

The Sugar Spectrum: not loving this one, just another somewhat fitting option

indydebi Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 19

I vote "no" on chimerical. First and foremost, it looks like "chemical", which could put a negative impression in people's minds. (I had to look at it twice because "chemical" is what I saw the first time and I did a -----> icon_surprised.gif

People wont' know how to pronounce it.

I have no idea what it means so if it's a cute or funny meaning, it will be lost on the general public.

And if they can't spell it or pronounce it, that means they can't find you when they do a search on the internet.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:15am
post #11 of 19

Totally agree with Debi. All I could see was "chemical" in the name. I have no idea how to pronounce Chimercal either, so I think I'd stay away from that one.

zaco Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #12 of 19

I see what you're saying. And kinda funny about the chemical thing since I have a degree in food science and was also thinking about using The Cake Lab haha.
It could also be possible to use Chimeric Cakes, the word means a product of unchecked imagination. I think it looks a little less like chemical, and as for the website I could purchase both chimericcakes.com and ccakesbyz.com
Opinions?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaco

I see what you're saying. And kinda funny about the chemical thing since I have a degree in food science and was also thinking about using The Cake Lab haha.
It could also be possible to use Chimeric Cakes, the word means a product of unchecked imagination. I think it looks a little less like chemical, and as for the website I could purchase both chimericcakes.com and ccakesbyz.com
Opinions?

No, it still looks like "Chemical". I like The Cake Lab, but it does still imply chemical.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #14 of 19

I'm not feeling the "chimeric" either. I think no one will have a clue what it means or how to say it.

"Cake Lab," however, is awesome! That's definitely a place I would check out if I walked by!

indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:46am
post #15 of 19

a white chef jacket does look like a lab coat! icon_rolleyes.gif

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:01am
post #16 of 19

New entrepreneurs just dont put enough work, time and effort into creating their business name. Your business name can help prospects remember you and what you sell, or it can leave them clueless. A name like Shelleys Sweets will pretty much let anyone who hears about you or has one of your business cards know exactly what you do; namely prepare some type of sweet product, e.g. candy, cookies, cakes whatever. But if your name is Shelleys Cakes By Designserving celebration cakes with a twist! There is little doubt that you are a cake decorator specializing in creative cake design.

If youre just starting out, consider choosing a business name that describes your business in some way. Dont get too specific you dont want to call your bakery business The Cookie Cafe, if cookies are not the only baked goods you sell. If you also plan to solicit business as a wholesale baker, selling products to other business you may want to include that also. Make an effort to incorporate some phrase (tag line) in your business that will help prospects remember you and ensure your business is the best one to call.

Here is a lengthy but interesting article about naming your business. Don't take to too literally, just some "real" food for thought. http://bit.ly/FZH1q

zaco Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you everyone for your input. You know, as much as I LOVE the meaning of the name, after sleeping on it I could not remember the word upon waking. Definitely a sign!!
It's funny some of you like The Cake Lab, I was 90% sure I was going to use that name for a week or two, and most of my friends and family liked it.
My sister insists I use Sweet Cheeks. It's kinda funny (to her) because I'm pretty fit but my cheeks are fairly big and will be no matter how skinny I get, which annoys me but it's kinda my thing. But I definitely don't want to use that, both because the reference to my chubby cheeks and it's a bit too cutesy for me.

Thanks homebasedbaking for the link, definitely a lot of good points there.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:28am
post #18 of 19

Wishing you the very best! Denay

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 12:33am
post #19 of 19

I love the Cake Lab! Just my $0.02!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%