Can I Freeze A Fondant Covered Cakes?? Help Asap!!

Decorating By HammIamm Updated 3 Sep 2005 , 1:54am by southernbelle

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 7

hi.
i just got asked to do a 2 tier fondant cake for the 11th of sept, however i am away from the 8th- the10th.. so i am wonderinf if i can moake something like this in advance... and then freeze it and pull it out when i get back laste on the 10th. any tipS?? how will this effect the mositness of the cake??, how should i wrap it??? how far in advacne will it be ok?? thanks for the help!

6 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

From everything I have read I don't think it would be a good idea to freeze your cake already covered in fondant. you can freeze it undecorated and then thaw. You could also (I believe) make the fondant in advance to have ready. They say the moisture does funky things to the fondant. HOpe this helps some.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 7

I think if you defrosted a fondant covered cake the condensation would ruin the fondant. CharlieinMO hs the right idea, freeze the cake and make the fondant ahead of time, just try ti get as much air as possible out of the fondant container. I have one of those vacuum sealers and it stays perfect when I use it.

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

I'm with Tastycakes...I think the moisture would ruin the fondant! I wouldn't suggest it!

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 7

My wilton instructor does it all the time, and I have done it once.....I don't make a habit of it and like I said I have only done it once....wrap the fondant covered cake in the box in a couple garbage bags, make sure it is really wrapped well, stick it in the freezer....here is the catch, when it comes out of the freezer leave it wrapped up and let it come to temp for 24-36 hous, then it should be okay....that it what I have been told. I did it once and it was okay.....

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 7

I wouldn't. It ruins the sheen and make the texture of the fondant different, it tends to get slimey. It is ok to freeze or refrigerate fondant on its own before it is used, just not once it is made into decorations or is on a cake.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 1:54am
post #7 of 7

I made a cake for the county fair, covered it with fondant as I was going to be out of town and wanted just the minimal to do when I got back. So I covered it with the fondant and put in the fridge.
Had a 3 tiered cake covered with mmf and a piano made out of fondant. At the fair after the juding, they also put the cake in the fridge where it stayed for 5 days.

When I went to pick it up the fondant had moisture all over it and the piano (also made of fondant) was melting down the sides of the cake.

That was my experience with fondant and the fridge....I could only imagine what would happen in the freezer.

I wouldn't recommend it either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%