Advice On Photographer Trade Work....

Business By divinecc Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm by divinecc

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 6

I am going to start doing tradework with a photographer for my cakes. I need some good quality photos for my website and porfolio. I will ask her to come by and take a few pics of the cakes before they are delivered.
How do you do tradework....I will make sure to give credit to her on my website and Facebook. We both are new to this and want to help eachother out but still make it fair. Any advice would be awesome! TIA

5 replies
divinecc Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 6

anybody???

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 6

I work a trade with a photographer and right now we "Charge" eachother what we would anyone else. We just keep a running tab of how much each of us has racked up and sometimes she has money to spend with me and sometimes I have money to spend with her. But no cash ever actually exchanges hands, we both have credits with eachother.

This particular photographer i know also trades haircuts with a stylist in town. She gives free photo sessions and a certain percentage off of the final order and the stylist gives her whole family haircuts every 4-6 weeks.

Just have to find what works for you.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:02am
post #4 of 6

I'm friendly with a very talented yet newly professional photographer and we have a system. She'll come to the location with me, and once the cake is set up, she'll take a dz or so pics. She doesn't ask for anything in return; I just pay a small amount to order the photos I want for my material. And I print credit to her, or I allow her watermark on the photo. I did send her a check for $20 one time just as a thank you, because she drove with me to a venue 20 min away but I had to assemble a huge 4-tier on site and she was with me for about 2 hrs. total.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:37am
post #5 of 6

When a model does TFCD (trade for cd...basically, just "trade"), it means that the photographer can use the photos in his or her portfolio (instead of paying a model) and the model is "paid" in the photos, though the photographer keeps copyright, and can use them in his/her portfolio as well. Not sure how this works for a cake business with a photographer, but it could be similar.

Whatever the two of you work out, make sure that you both have a release signed so that there are no issues down the line. The rights you're giving each other, and receiving for the pictures, have to be clear. I cannot emphasize the importance of a signed release enough.

divinecc Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 6

Good tips on things I didn't even consider...thank you so much. Can't wait to get some nice pics of my cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%