Color Cake After Baking

Decorating By spoonrest Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 11:02am by lollyponpon

spoonrest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoonrest Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for "funfetti" effect--something I for people from time to time by adding colored sprinkles to my own batter since I hate working with cakes from mixes--the problem is that the cake has already been baked and I would like to figure out a way to add the color now rather then start all over again.

My boyfriend's parents have a diabetic cat and use very tiny syringes to give the cat insulin. I am considering using those to inject color in little specks throughout the cake. I'll probably use colored lemon juice.

Is this a sound approach? Does anyone have any other ideas or experience with coloring cakes already baked? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 6

My advice - rebake.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 6

When I saw your post I thought about the people who poke holes in the cake and pour liquid jello but that would tint the cake differently than funfetti. I would say freeze that one for later and rebake...sorry.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:00am
post #4 of 6

I agree with the others. Re-baking would probably faster then trying to inject a million little specks of color in the cake.

Good luck!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 8:49am
post #5 of 6

^ agree

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 11:02am
post #6 of 6

may i ask, what is a funfetti cake? i googled it and a box mix image came up but i have definatel ynever seen that here in aust. is it something you can make by altering a different box mix/recipe? thanks for any help! it definately soun ds interesting!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%