3D Car Cake

Decorating By slean Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm by AngelinaMomof3

slean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slean Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

Help! I've been asked to make an Aston martin cake for a friend, what advice can you give me to carve it without it just crumbling into a mess??? I'm stressing about it already. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 5

Don't panic.. I'm currently making a Car too. My advise is to use a cake recipe that deliver the right texture, one like pound cake is great but all depends on what the customer asked. and use a filling that freeze well and won't "slide" (buutercream, cream cheese, whipped ganache)

Make a sketch to determine how to place layers... no need to start from a solid rectangle, you can stack 2 full layers and third/fourth only covering the part where the car is higher. Once you've done this, you can semi-freeze or refrigerate. Carving will be easier if your cake is real cold.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

I make the wheels independent from slicing cake baked in a can and then cover with fondant, this gives a more realistic effect without much trouble. Carving circles where the tires will be hel[ to keep wheels on place.

Is it going to be fondant? I still dont have pictures of the big car (16x13"), but here's a small one carved for topping a tiered cake

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1802482

slean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slean Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 5

Thankyou, for the advice, I will post a pic when I`ve done icon_smile.gif

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 5

I am making a car cake this week too! It's a dirt racing car. My first! I baked it last week and froze it for awhile then carved it and froze it again.. I just took out a test cake that I treated the same way and HOLY COW IS IT MOIST! It's SOO GOOD! The way I carved my car was to print out the picture of the car to the size cake that I am going to make, then cut it out. I lined up my cakes after torting and then used toothpicks to secure the picture of the car to the side of the cakes. Then I cut around the car and was left with a perfect base shape of it.. I hope that covering it and painting all of the sponsors and things goes smoothly.. I hope you have great success!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%