Need Immediately Help - Covering Dummy With Fondant

Decorating By j_arney Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm by dchockeyguy

j_arney Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I've never covered dummies in fondant, but I wanted to make a 4 tier cantilevered cake for my son's 3rd birthday tomorrow. I just tried to cover the first dummy and it ripped at the corners. I tried re-rolling it thicker, but that didn't help either. How do I cover a dummy with such sharp squre edges?? I deperately need to get these 4 tiers (3 fake, 1 real) covered TODAY! What am I doing wrong?

3 replies
catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 4

the first thing I do is to rub the surface with crisco. Not only does this help the fondant to stick it helps to soften the surface. And, yes, roll it out the thickness of a nickle. Sounds like your fondant may be a bit too soft and you may need to knead in more PS as well.

Cat

Kitagrl Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 4

Also take something hard and soften the edges of your sharp dummy edges....press down really hard on them like with a cake smoother or something (before covering, of course)....it does not affect the final appearance but its easier on the fondant.

dchockeyguy Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 4

You can also take a piece of sand paper, or something similar, and soften the edges a little bit before covering it. Some people prefer the beveled cake dummies for this reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%