Edible Image Issues....new At This....

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 10:58am by icingimages

EvMarie Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 19

Hi Everyone,

I found an image online, that was free clip art. I am using it on a cookie favor order. I printed the pic out at Rite Ade because the cake supply lady didn't know how to pull up a file from a disc. The actual photo turned out great. Crisp & detailed.

I take this photo to the cake supply lady and I got my edible images back & it's definitely not crisp, vivid, and the details are not really blurry....but sort of faint. Granted, the image background was black which probably would take up a lot of food color. But in the edible image, the background was dark gray and it had visible thick pin stripes...if that makes sense. The stats of the picture are 185x202 pixels, 96 dpi.

I did enlarge it by 4 percent BUTTTTT, the photo she used to make the edible image was perfect at that enlarged size. The cookies don't look horrible or even bad. I just know that if I saw the picture online & then looked at the edible image on the cookie.....I would be able to tell the difference.

I looked up the troubleshooting on this site for edible image issues. The only thing I could see would be that the dpi's were low? But, I'm not sure what an acceptable dpi level should be.

I see really sharp looking designs for edible images...with all kinds of colors used. I won't go back to her....and I will for sure save to get my own printer...so, I would love to hear some feedback from those of you who have used edible images/printers.

Anyone have any thoughts about what the problem could be? Thanks for your help!!!

18 replies
auntginn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 19

Yes. #1 It was copied from 2nd generation instead of direct which effects the outcome.

#2 Sounds like her printhead could use some cleaning. When it doesn't distribute the ink evenly, it may cause those lines in darker colors.

And last, the color changes you noticed are due to the differences in ink types. For most people who print on edible paper, they don't adjust their printer to enhance the colors and most edible inks are not true to color (if this makes sense)
You will notice the difference.

HTH

EvMarie Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 19

Auntginn, thanks so much for your quick response. I'm considering partial $ back or at least a coupon. They do look fun & festive. I like them....but the perfectionist in me does not want to post them on website. So....then, I feel like, I must "make it right" some how.

But...back to the post...the color differences aren't a big deal in this case....it's the clarity that really bothers me. Thanks for the info on that....But, how would one go about adjusting the colors on a printer. I mean, is it an option in the software used? Or...just a plain ole printer option?

Also, do you have a printer yourself? Do you love it? What kind is it?

I appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Crimsicle Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 19

This is the exact reason I got my system. The people doing images around here just ran 'em through the printer, obviously, with no attention to quality.

When I print my own images, I nearly always increase the contrast and sometimes the saturation. I also know that my printer kind of leans toward the yellows, so I turn down the yellow tones as well. My printer also has an option to choose "photo" or "best photo" and also "vivid colors." I generally tweak all of these settings and then do a test printout on regular paper and maybe tweak again. There's no reason you should have to settle for a faded, streaky image. Edible images can be bright, saturated and crisp. The person doing the printing just as to put some thought and care into it. I found that nobody cared about my images as much as I do. The investment was worth the satisfaction!

EvMarie Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 19

Crimsicle - thanks a ton! I don't want to be too harsh about the streaks....they were noticable on the 8x10 frosting sheet. But, once I got them on the cookie, the streaks were not visible. But the crisp-ness of the picture was a definite issue for me.

I have a family member who is actually happy to loan me the money to get my printer asap. So, I'll keep all this info in mind when I start using which ever system I buy. Thanks for the descriptions on the options. I do believe I've seen the "best photo" option before just in my regular printing. It makes sense.

Do you love your system? Which one did you opt for? I notice you can get one with just a couple colors or a bunch of colors. Are you happy with your color option?

Again, thanks so much for the valuable info. I appreciate it.

auntginn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 19

Crimsicle said it best. I only buy Canon printers but that is by choice. Look around, do not be in a hurry. Get the best your money can afford with the functions you want.

Once you learn to tweak everything to your satisfaction it will become second nature and you will love the results.

I average 15 sheets per week. Lots of people come to me to get their work done because I take the time. I let people see what it will look like before printing. Very rare my customers are not happy.

Feel free to ask all the questions and help you need, we're here for you.

EvMarie Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks so much. It's rare to have this kind of detailed help. I really appreciate it.

cakeaddikt Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:24am
post #8 of 19

In your opinion, Which company do you think has the best edible ink cartridges and icing sheets?

auntginn Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:51am
post #9 of 19

KopyKake hands down. Their the only ones I use.

EvMarie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks again Auntginn...I'll remember kopykake. Good question cakeaddikt!

By the way - I did offer the lady I made the questionable cookie favors for a coupon and a small portion of the money back. She said I was being silly but I told her that I've seen edible images before and they are more clear and vibrant than those on her cookies. I apologized and said I'll be looking into my own system. I made sure to explain that I was happy with the cookie...just wasn't absolutely perfect, and that's what I strive for.

The cookie favor did look better in the cello bag with the exact matching fabric ribbon tie.

Thanks again for all the info!!

cakeaddikt Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks Auntginn. I was wondering about that because some people say some icing sheets crack and some edible inmate aren't as vibrant as others.

auntginn Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 19

If the frosting sheets crack its because they are dry, which can happen if left out in the open too long.

Evmarie, I don't think that is silly. I work with a lady that way as well. She has the cutest smallest cake decor. supply store. She takes the order and I make the sheets for the customer. I get 80% and she stays with 20%. You might want to contact other businesses and let them know you have a system. Once you do that is.

EvMarie Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 19

Auntginn....that's EXACTLY what my Mom said. I was telling her about it. She's the one who taught me how to bake & we chat about all the things I'm learning.

She said - "sounds like a window to me!" I'm super picky & sort of like a tiny bit of graphic design & she thought I could make some cash since I'd be able to edit better & add text & so on. ORRRRR - I could just make my own designs & market my product as super unique. Either way - she said I should try it.

The craft stores in the area have tons of wilton classes. I bet, they'd refer me if I got in good with the instructors. Fab idea I say!

cakeaddikt Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:43am
post #14 of 19

Lol...Darn touch screen cell phones...I meant to say edible ink cartridges...not inmate...lol

auntginn Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:15am
post #15 of 19

cakeaddikt... rofl...

Evmarie, also try to hook up with other bakeries. Many don't have a system and would welcome the chance. Their customers don't need to know they go thru a second party to get the work done. Major cooperates do it all the time. I have a few competitors and even they come to me once in a while.

You could end up with lots of work that way.

EvMarie Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 19

Auntginn - thanks a ton. There are several bakeries that just popped in my head. I'm sure with some research, I'd find at least 5 or 6 solid people/bakeries just in my county.

You're a gem!

Crimsicle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:58pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMarie

Crimsicle - thanks a ton!
snip..snip...

Do you love your system? Which one did you opt for? I notice you can get one with just a couple colors or a bunch of colors. Are you happy with your color option?

I now have the Canon IP3600. It has six cartridges - one each of cyan, magenta and yellow...and two black, oddly enough. I really like this printer. It handles the sheets very well. My previous printer sometimes kind of abused them. My first printer was the IP1500. It used two cartridges - one with all three colors and a black. It made great prints. But, I'm not sure the current printers even offer that configuration anymore. I'm really happy with my 3600, but as I mentioned above, it does seem to lean toward yellow tones. Once I learned that, it's a simple tweak to tone down the yellow. I got the refill inks for it, which means I don't have to worry about the cost of running test prints...which I think is very important for quality purposes.

Let us know what you decide to do. And share your first successes!

EvMarie Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:48pm
post #18 of 19

Will do - thanks again for sharing your info!

icingimages Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:58am
post #19 of 19

We only recommend someone purchase the printer if they are able to use it about once per week. This is imperative especially if you choose KK. Canon is highly rated because of teh removable printhead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%