Make A Cake In The Shape Of A Spine

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm by GlassJoe

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 5

Yikes, I have a chiropractor graduation cake comming up and she wants the actual cake in the shape of a human spine, You have no idea how much I would appreciate any help or direction on this one. Thanks!

Sue

4 replies
mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 5

You can probably do it in pieces. For example make cupcakes and carve them into square-ish shapes to represent the vertebra. Cover them in an ivory fondant to mimic the color of bones. Then just put them together in a spine shape. Might work.

mrscunningham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscunningham Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 5

Make a sheet cake and carve the spine out of top, leaving the bottom part for structure and then color the spine bone colored and make the bottom dark brown and have the cake board match the dark brown. This should give the illusion that the bottom part of the cake is invisible. Hopefully. Good luck.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much!! Really good ideas. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!

Sue

GlassJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GlassJoe Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 5

Personally I would make the cake underneath of the spine nice and flat, after that I would make the spine out of gum paste so it would hold the shape that you dried it in and set it on top of the cake like an examination board in a health/science class.

Someone here at CC has made a spine cake in the past. Here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=296623

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%