Books On Buttercream....?

Decorating By zespri Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm by cutthecake

zespri Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:03am
post #1 of 12

All of the most amazing cake decorating books seem to use fondant exclusively. Does anyone know of any amazing books which use buttercream instead?

I've got some really basic ones, but not ones with truly amazing designs.

11 replies
karencuppycake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:56am
post #2 of 12

Really?! Wow! Here is my favourite autor for buttercream: Buttercream Flowers by Roland Winbeckler.

LindaF144a Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 12

Anything by Sylvia Weinstock.

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 12

I've gotten quite a few of the old Wilton books off ebay. The old yearbooks can be bought at a fairly reasonable price if you keep trying.

zespri Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 12

thanks folks! In particular I am keen on kids cakes, I guess I wasn't very clear on that...sorry! Or fun cakes in general. I just got some Debbie Brown and Lindy Smith books out of the library, and while they're amazing, I just wish there was some buttercream ideas. I understand they can't be as detailed and smooth looking if they are in buttercream, but I'm sure there must be a book out there, because I often see amazing cakes appear in the galleries made with buttercream.

cutthecake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 12

Whimsical Bakehouse Books are my favorites, and they don't do fondant. Their House Buttercream and Kaye's Buttercream recipes are delicious. And, they have a kids' cake book!

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/shop/shop.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 12

I have a list of books dealing with buttercream but they are older (out of print) books. Were you interested in something like that? If so I'll post the list.

cutthecake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

...the old Wilton books ....

Carpal tunnel stars!

I wish the person who coined that phrase would identify her (or him) self--it just cracks me up, and I want to give credit to the originator.

zespri Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 12

Hi folks, thanks to your advice I am now the proud owner of the whimsical bakehouse book.... and I LOVE it!! Just wanted to let you know... I can't wait to read more of it icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 12

I just got home from a two-day cake decorating class with Liv Hansen, one of the authors of the Whimsical Bakehouse Books. She is terrific, and the class was so much fun. We made a two-tier variation of the cake on the cover of the Fun-to Make Cakes book.

zespri Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 12

!@#!!! JEALOUS!!! I'm afraid the scope for classes in New Zealand is pretty slim :-|

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

I just got home from a two-day cake decorating class with Liv Hansen, one of the authors of the Whimsical Bakehouse Books. She is terrific, and the class was so much fun. We made a two-tier variation of the cake on the cover of the Fun-to Make Cakes book.

cutthecake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 12

I'm sorry to hear that. This was my first class, except for the Wilton classes. I can't wait to take another.
We did buttercream flowers, and worked with chocolate, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%