S#@t!! Cripes!! Help?? Urgent

Baking By lollyponpon Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 11:23am by AbouttheCake

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:58am
post #1 of 9

I was making a cake today as us CC people do and the recipe asked to put boiling water over cocoa and then let it stand whilst you complete the other steps...
Adding this cocoa mix was the last step and everything was going as planned HOWEVER... this mixture seems to have crusted over or something because NOw there are little lumps all throughout my mixture!! I have NO IDEA how to get them out, if i should just bake the cake and hope it somehow melts into the mixture??
I tried to seive it, but that doesnt work!! Can anyone advise me on this?? The lumps are just boiling water mixed with cocoa, and i definately got rid of all the lumps when i made it and set it aside... hrrrrmmmmm
i really cant start again because it was such an expensive cake to begin with...

8 replies
Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:05am
post #2 of 9

Whisk, whisk, whisk! I think it's the only way to get rid of them, may take a while though. It will add air bubbles to your cake but better than lumps. Drop the tin on the bench a few times to help remove the bubbles. Good luck!

lollyponpon Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:13am
post #3 of 9

BUT WILL THE WHISKING WORK? BECAUSE THEY ARE LIKE, LITTLE SHEET/FLAKES OF THIS VERY BITTER TASTING COCOA? ANYWAY I WILL MOST CERTAINLY TRY IT!! I WAS EVEN TRYING TO RUB THEM BETWEEN MY FINGERTIPS (IN FOODSAFE GLOVES!!) TO SQUASH THEM ALL--BUT THAT JUST WAS RIDICULOUS~!~

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:28am
post #4 of 9

can you try a blender/food processor?

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:30am
post #5 of 9

Mix it till you cant mix no more. they will eventually go away, may take some elbow grease. Given that, it may be your best hope to start over, or cook the cake anyway, See if they cook down and enjoy the results icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:19am
post #6 of 9

Its ok - if they are just the little floaty bits (not big chuncks) - they will melt down with the cooking process.

Bluehue.

karencuppycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karencuppycake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:54am
post #7 of 9

It is perfectly fine! (As it has happened to me before!) It will just melt down in the baking process and you will never think there had been lumps in it at all!

lollyponpon Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:26am
post #8 of 9

thank you all soooooo much!! it's in the oven so fingers crossed it was able to be saved... because of the unexpected error, i couldnt get it in the oven straight away because i had doctor appointments and so it turned into a second issue of whether the batter would be ok without going straight into the oven...i consulted forums and took the advice of beating in the baking soda right before it went in, so i have put it in very amounts bake into the processor and whipped it up then made sure to really bang it down hard before popping in to cook!!
i was hoping it would cook out, but as i said, they arent tasty lil choc chips!! haha

thank you all!!!

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:23am
post #9 of 9

If you continue mixing/whisking would create more gluten which will in turn make the cake rubbery or tough. Leaving them alone would be the best option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%