Infusions - How And Best Recipes

Baking By etr2002 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 9:17am by JanH

etr2002 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:00am
post #1 of 11

My sister is getting married next April and her cake will be chocolate infused with raspberry - the cake at the testing was absolutely marvelous! I've never tried an infusion and am not sure how or what recipe to use. I've done searches but haven't found anything that seemed appealing to the palate. Will anyone share their recipe(s) and/or tips for infusing?

10 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #2 of 11

Well, I've only been baking 50 years or so but I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Are you referring to a "wash"?

When I make choc raspberry cake, I add raspberry filling and raspberry flavoring to the choco batter.

etr2002 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #3 of 11

Maybe "wash" is a different name for infusion. The cake itself was chocolate fudge and then a syrup of some type was applied to the cake (maybe brushed on) and soaked into the baked cake. Icing was applied on top of that. The cake was very, very moist. It was absolutely divine!

Here's a link to the bakery and there's a very brief section on infusions:

adventuregal Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:20am
post #4 of 11

I hear places marketing infusions all the time, but I haven't the slightest clue how they pull them off so I'll be interested to see the replies!!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:34am
post #5 of 11

I know about infusions for cocktails. But not cakes.

adventuregal Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:43am
post #6 of 11

I thought this was a cool recipe:

I'll have to ask other bakers how they do their infusions when I see them next, but I'm baking so much these days I have been under a rock hehe

Normita Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:12am
post #7 of 11

I brush on a sugar syrup on all my cakes. They are super moist and delicious. I usually don't add extracts or liquors but u def can. For my sisters bday cake I made an orange dreamsicle "infused" with orange liquor. Basically i added orange liquor to my sugar syrup and then brushed it onto the cake. I added about a couple teaspoons just until I got the flavor I wanted. You flavor it to ur liking. I got this idea by Peggy porschen who talks about this in her book "pretty party cakes"

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:49am
post #8 of 11

Yes, they are using a wash (brushing syrup on a cake). I think "infusion" is a fancy marketing term they can use to get people to pay $.25 extra per slice, as the website indicated.

Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 11

Just before i brush on any wash/infusion - i go over my cakes with a toothpick and gently poke little holes in it - that way the wash/infusion seeps down into the cake just that little bit further - without turning it into a soggy wet mess.

Altho infusion means to incorporate the *whatever* into the cooking method... so as to get the *fused* tastes together.

Your kidding - someone wrote that soneone charges .25 cents per slice for having that done - good grief...
Imagine a cake to feed 600 people

600 x .25 = $150.00
Unless one is going to be using good top shelf liqueres - thats ridiculous.

Even here in Australia where our *per slice* is more expensive - no way do we charge that - for that.

etr2002 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone for responding! Yes, my sister did agree to pay an additional $.25 per slice. Infusions are unheard of in our area except for this one baker. We tasted so many different cakes before settling on the baker and the difference came down to the infusions as the other cakes without it just didn't have that melt in your mouth, I can't believe this is cake taste, so for my sister that is what she liked and was willing to pay for it.

If anyone is willing to share their syrup wash instructions, that would be incredibly helpful! I want to try this on a cake but am not sure measurements or ingredients.

Thank you!

JanH Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:17am
post #11 of 11

Here's another infusion thread:
(With recipes and application methods.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%