Cake Balls

Decorating By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

What are your favorite flavor combinations for cake balls? Looking for some inspiration! Also, what recipe do you use for them? I know some people use buttercream, but others think buttercream, or too much buttercream, makes them too sweet and mushy. TIA!

6 replies
Minstrelmiss Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 7

I love chocolate with peanut butter instead of frosting...so delicious!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 7

Mmm, sounds great, i will have to try that!

sandy1 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 7

Crush up a few Graham crackers and mix them to chocolate cake crumbs. Warm up peanut butter in microwave, add some marhmallow fluff, stir this mixture into the cake/cracker mixture until mixture holds together and can be formed into balls. Refrigerate the balls until firm and dip into milk or dark chocolate.

auntginn Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 7

I never use bc to bind my cake balls. I generally use those fruit cake fillings you buy in tubs or pounds. Strawberry and raspberry are great. Also chocolate and carmel syrups are good.

For my low sugar cake balls I use applesauce.

Anything that is moist will work as a binder, in the case of liquids you must be careful as to the amount so they don't stay mushy.

Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 7

Ganache is great - just on its own
or flavoured with liquor
or with the zest of orange freshly grated
or flavoured oils - just a drop or two.

Bluehue

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 7

These all sound great! Yeah, I tried making them using icing as a binder once, and I didn't like them. Too mushy and icky sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%