Premade Gumpaste Decorations

Decorating By mom2twogrlz Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm by DianeLM

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make golf and tennis cupcakes for a friend. She wants them to have grass with small gumpaste golf clubs/balls and tennis raquets/balls on them. I'm talking tiny, like 1 1/2 to 2 inches on top of the cupcakes. The grass is no problem, got that covered. I do make gumpaste details on my cakes, but I am worried about these ones since they are so small.

Does anyone know where I can get some that are premade? I know I have seen this in a previous post, but just can't find it.

I will make some pratice ones this week, but I wanted to search online too. Thanks.

2 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 3

I am not sure where to get them premade but if you make them your self you could maybe make the small ball then roll it over a cheese grater to get the texture of a golf ball or just use a toothpick and poke holes. I typically use a toothpick when I work with small decorations and need small details.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 3

1 1/2 to 2 inches isn't really that small. A real golf ball is only slightly bigger than 1-1/2 inches.

Personally, I'd make the balls out of fondant. Because gumpaste dries rock hard and doesn't taste very good, I never use it on cupcakes.

You can use a ball tool to impress the dimples.

Or, you can get golf ball molds and make the balls out of chocolate.

However, if the golf balls are to be really tiny - like 1/4 to 1/2 inch, I'd use pag41989's suggestion and use a toothpick. You can use one toothpick to hold the ball while you poke it with another toothpick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%