Ordering So Many Fewer Servings Than Guest Count...?

Business By hsmomma Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm by hsmomma

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First I am appalled that STAFFERS take home leftover wedding cake!

And if I was the couple paying for the cake i would be VERY VERY irritated. I paid for the cake so my family/friends could have it, not the staffers.

Most of my friends and family that have gotten married get a larger cake for the wedding and then they plan on having a tier left over to have at the present opening the next day, and to send some with their bridal party and close family. As a little bit more of a "thank you" for everything they've done.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First I am appalled that STAFFERS take home leftover wedding cake!

And if I was the couple paying for the cake i would be VERY VERY irritated. I paid for the cake so my family/friends could have it, not the staffers.

Most of my friends and family that have gotten married get a larger cake for the wedding and then they plan on having a tier left over to have at the present opening the next day, and to send some with their bridal party and close family. As a little bit more of a "thank you" for everything they've done.

I agree! Even though I've worked in a place that did that (see my post on page 4 here), I was really upset when my extra wedding favors disappeared (small chocolate bars) after my reception. I would have been upset if the cake had taken the same route.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:34pm
post #63 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannduffy

I am with "angelwings1"
I was under the impression that if someone hires you, you work for them, not the other way around.

Of course you work them. I'm taking your statement to be quite naive about the business of contracts and requirements. If someone hires me, it doesn't mean I'm their slave to whatever they want. They can have what they want within the parameters of what is possible according to what I do.

Nor is the consumer a slave to your rules. And believe me, I'm not naive.

As I said in the other thread, I fired the caterer who wasn't going to allow any cake but his--I found a caterer who realized the the wedding was OUR PARTY and who was willing to work with our needs and wants!!!!!

Fast forward to the wedding, which was this past weekend. The reception venue had 2 weddings booked that night, and in the other room was a nice cupcake tower provided by one of the "Turns Down Customers, Very Loyal Following" cupcake bakeries in town. At the end of the evening, my caterer had the staff bring us one the other party's leftover cupcakes (no, we didn't steal any...they had left them behind), and guess what? MINE WERE BETTER. My cake (same flavor) was more moist and my cream cheese icing was creamer (theirs was grittier) Their cupcakes were bigger, but since I had made tons, each of our guests could have 2. I had about a dozen cupcakes left which I allowed the staff to have...they gobbled them down on the spot, so it's not just my opinion.

OH, and no matter how many times I tell this story in coming years, I'm sure I'll never get tired of telling it. icon_biggrin.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #64 of 64

Just delivered the cupcake tower. Looked beautiful and definitely didn't look like the mother cut back on servings as my tall tower and 2 side (2 tier towers) were filled as was the entire top of the table.
I was questioned while at the venue by staff if I knew there was going to be 300 people there (they read my flavor guide stating there were 200 cupcakes). I said that I did and that I discussed it with the mother of the bride (who contracted with me) and she decided 200 was the maximum number she wanted to order.

I know the mob will not ever mention if didn't have enough as I talked to her about my concerns with being short. (She did increase though UP TO 200 when I voiced my concerns.)

Hopefully for her sake, the food is wonderful and everyone is too full for a cupcake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%