Can I Save This Edible Image?

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 5:40am by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 11

I just picked up an edible image I ordered from the bakery at Giant. It looks great, but I've never used one before. I read a bunch of stuff online before I bought it to make sure I could handle using it. Everything I read online said to save it in the refrigerator until it was ready to use, but the person in the bakery told me that it would crack if I put it in the fridge. Also, everything I saw online said it would come in a metal/aluminum bag. This came in a clear plastic bag that doesn't seal.

So, my questions:

How should I store this thing until I'm ready to use it? I was not planning to make the cake until next Thursday. This is just a hobby and I'm making the cake for my brother. I can't afford to spend another $6 on another image, so I hope I can save this one.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 11

I put mine in a gallon zip lock bag not refrigerated.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 11

Air tight gallon zip lock bag. Do not refrigerate!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 11

A couple days ago I used an edible image I printed & stored in a Zip Lock bag over 6 months ago, and it was just fine.

letsgetcaking Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you both so much! I am going right down to put it in a ziplock bag and I'll leave it on the counter.

Now, I have another question. icon_rolleyes.gif (I know it shouldn't be this difficult.)

Can I refrigerate the cake with the edible image on it, or will that mess it up, too?

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with zip loc bag, but also put it in cardboard sleeve or in a dark place. The light will fade the colors. I wouldn't put edible image in fridge,moisture will ruin it (in my experience). I have also used them after 6 mos in a sealed bag.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 11

Everyone has their own opinion about this, but for me...I put my image on top of a fondant covered cake and if the cake is one that needs to be refrigerated because of the filling, in the fridge it goes. There will be condensation on it when it comes out of the fridge, but when it comes up to room temp the condensation disappears and it is just fine. (Do not touch the cake when it first comes out of the fridge because it will be sticky, if you've used fondant.) That's what works for me... icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

Can I refrigerate the cake with the edible image on it, or will that mess it up, too?

Once it's on the cake you won't have any problems. Bakeries refrigerate cakes with them on buttercream, fondant, and bettercream all the time.

letsgetcaking Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you, everyone, so much! I really appreciate all of your tips and advice! This cake is going to be a lot of firsts for me:

-making chocolate fondant (I've made fondant a few times before and it turned out well..so I hope the chocolate fondant will work for me)

-using an edible image

-trying to cut out the edible image shapes and attaching to fondant

-painting with gold luster dust

I'm so excited about this cake, but nervous, too. It's going to be a suitcase cake for my brother who will find out (within the next week) where he will be serving a two year mission!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 11

make sure when you paint it with the gold luster that you do not touch the image with the paint brush. It is ok to sprinkle the luster on the image but if you paint it, you are more likely to cause it to smeer.

letsgetcaking Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:40am
post #11 of 11

I wanted to thank everyone again for their help. Using your advice, the edible image lasted until I needed it and worked just great. I'm really happy with how the cake turned out.

Whoops. I tried to attach a photo, but it didn't work. Here's a link to the pic in my photos if you want to see it. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1813584

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%