Torte Or Not To Torte....that Is The Question!

Decorating By Cohaja12 Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm by tastyart

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 9

The first (and last) time I torted my cakes it was a disaster!! Now I only do one layer of filling for each tier (approx 4" tall).

So I guess my question is.... do you always torte? How many layers do you have for each tier?

8 replies
deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 9

I am saving up for an agbay so I can do this, currently I just bake short layers-3 layers with 2 filling layers per tier

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 9

1) Depends on what the customer orders (i charge a little more for the additional 2 layers of filling)
2) if it's for me or a family event it depends on my mood, but i like the look of 4 layers cake and 3 layers of filling so I tend to go this route more often.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 9

My favorite is to alternate layers of chocolate and vanilla cake. I usually make my cakes with 4 layers, 2 choc. and 2 vanilla.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 9

Always torte, that's my vote.

4 layers cake, 3 layers of filling.

If you practice, practice, practice, you'll get the hang of layering your cakes in no time.

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 9

All right icon_smile.gif Its settled... I really shouldn't have become discouraged after one snafu.

Gonna do 4 layers this time. You all have given me strength LOL

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 9

I used to torte but now I dont! I never have any complaints and I think it's less messy.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 9

What about torting Topsy Turvy cakes? I've seen pictures and tutorials and most use untorted layers.

I usually torte, but I have a Topsy coming up and am very afraid too many layers make it less stable.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 9

I made a topsy turvy with mousse filling once. It's the pink and purple wedding cake in my photos. Use good support and a good dam for the filling and you shouldn't have any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%