Job Interview Tomorrow! Need Ideas

Decorating By buttercreammgt Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm by mayo2222

buttercreammgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreammgt Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 9

I was recently offered a job with the bakery in my town to just make high end wedding cakes. I don't personally have my own business decorating wedding cakes but I've been making them on contract for several years. I alos have my own website offering cake decorating lessons. I've just been really unimpressed with the amount of income generated from my "jack of all trades master of none" side jobs.

I was thinking about looking for full time employment when I got a call from the store manager asking me to come in and interview tomorrow. Here is my problem since I will only be focusing on wedding cakes they are hard pressed to justify hiring me full time right away. I was going to make a list of potential promotional things I could do during the off season when I won't be as busy.

8 replies
buttercreammgt Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 9

2. promotional events, wedding cake shows, design appointments with potential bride, relationship building with other vendors in this area.
3. Promote and do my cake decorating workshops(still keeping my website but hold at the store)and also market tools.

4. design cake dummy's for store display.

5. marketing on web. print, and hopefully get into some magazines.

Am I forgetting anything? Please help me figure this out the interview is tomorrow and I need some ideas

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 9

Don't have any suggestions, but wanted to wish you good luck!

Do you mind me asking what the name of the bakery is?

buttercreammgt Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not sure if I should say just yet unless I get the job icon_wink.gif I will say however it's a really huge store that is locally owned and is not a national chain.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 9

The only other thing I can think of is to take a portfolio of pictures with you.
All the best.

ClassyCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyCat Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 9

Your ideas sound fantastic. I wanted to wish you luck tomorrow, and hope you'll report back how the interview went. Break an egg icon_biggrin.gif !!!

buttercreammgt Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 9

The interview went great they offered me a job and loved all my ideas! I was also offered a full-time position making a really good income! I just need to figure out all the details with my family. I've been a stay at home mom for 12 years with only a few hours of work a week. My youngest will be turning 5 in a few months so I thought the timing couldn't be better. I also get to be very flexable with my hours and that will help a ton with soccer, football, dance ect ect ect.

On another note how do all of you other full time decorators balance life and cakes? Any advise would be great

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 9

Congratulations! All the best, just pace yourself.
D

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 9

Congratulations!!!

Now can you tell me the name of the bakery?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%