Darn Darn Darn!

Decorating By SweetsbyLadawn Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 8:42am by Bluehue

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 11

I made 4 gumpaste gerbera daisies. I tried to open a zip top bag and smashed one with my fist. I should just have 3 on the top right? plz tell me yes. I wanted 3 on top and one on the bottom of my 8" round fondant cake. P.S. I know that I should make extras...but the 4th one was my extra. I decided later to have a flower at the base.

10 replies
scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 11

I don't know how big your daisies are, but I like to group in odds in designs so I'm going to say 3 is perfect. I have tried and failed (miserably) to cut out the darn daisy. I lose petals all the time. I need more practice. Any tips on how to get them out of a cutter without mangling them?

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydid

I don't know how big your daisies are, but I like to group in odds in designs so I'm going to say 3 is perfect. I have tried and failed (miserably) to cut out the darn daisy. I lose petals all the time. I need more practice. Any tips on how to get them out of a cutter without mangling them?

I use a q-tip to get mine out, although I am still in basic learning process, I have learned that q-tips and cotton balls are some of your best friends.

SweetsbyLadawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetsbyLadawn Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 11

I have the plunger daisy cutter. I roll out the gumpaste, tap it with the PS then cut, imprint and plung. If the site worked I could show them but cant get anything to upload.

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 11

Great q-tip idea!

It must be operator error on my part - cutting out a daisy. I bought one plunger cutter and that worked better than the thin plastic cutters I have. I don't have a lot of experience with gumpaste. I'm wondering if I should wait longer for the gumpaste sheet to harden a bit more before I attempt to cut.

Someone out there is mumbling, "Practice makes perfect!" That I know. It's finding the time to do the practice that is my roadblock. It's a good thing this is just a hobby. icon_biggrin.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 11

Try draping the gumpase OVER the cutter and then use the roller to cut it.It eliminates the ragged edges and you don't have to worry about getting it out of the cutter.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Try draping the gumpase OVER the cutter and then use the roller to cut it.It eliminates the ragged edges and you don't have to worry about getting it out of the cutter.

That is a great tip. Thanks for sharing. I will have to give that one a try.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 11

I have the 3 set daisy plunger type cutter. I use fondant and I always let it set for a while before cutting.

Roll it thin! And clean your edges often. Dried fondant or gumpaste on it will leave very jagged edges.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #9 of 11

I was taught to use odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, etc... for those reading half asleep or before the first cup of coffee in the morning, LOL) so 3 sounds good to me.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:25am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Great tip. I may use that!

"I made 4 gumpaste gerbera daisies. I tried to open a zip top bag and smashed one with my fist. I should just have 3 on the top right? plz tell me yes. I wanted 3 on top and one on the bottom of my 8" round fondant cake. P.S. I know that I should make extras...but the 4th one was my extra. I decided later to have a flower at the base."

I'm making gerberas for a wedding cake in november. Going to start practising them soon. How did you find making them?
BTW - I think 3 will be perfect icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:42am
post #11 of 11

THREE is a very good number - thumbs_up.gif

Actually - i like just the flowers on top of cakes instead of the traditional some on top and one at the base.

You see that tooooo often IMO.
It always seems to distract from the overall picture...
Sooo in saying that - three on top will be perfect.
It wil look more modern - instead of the same ole '60's look....IYKWIM.

ETA - it makes the cake look taller - as you eye is drawn to the top of the cake.

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%