Help! 5 Tier Advice Please!

Decorating By MISweetAddictions Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm by MISweetAddictions

MISweetAddictions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MISweetAddictions Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 19

I am kinda new to all of this and need some much needed advice on how to stack a 5 tier cake. The tiers will strawberry(14") Chocolate(12") Yellow(10") and white (8"and 6") I am extremely nervous about assembling this cake. The frosting will be Buttercream. I am adding gumpaste butterflies about 1"x1" throughout and 1 1/2" Ribbon to the bottom of each tier. ANY ADVICE on how to go about this??????

18 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 19

SPS! I've done several 5 tier cakes and they are done the same way as a 2 tier or 3 tier. I get SPS is 6", 8", 10, and 12". Yes, I have stacked and delivered 5 tier cakes this summer in 100 heat and 99% humidity using SPS.

It's no different than any other cake, it just takes time and patience.

ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 19

I think you will be fine-remember when making large cakes small cakes coming together as one -the same support for cakes you've done in the past add more for larger tiers. Keep an electric pencil shapener or hand sharpener near for dowel rods.
Dowel rods
Straws
the small pvc pipe works wonderful for large tiers
Cake Jacks
Happy Baking and decorating,
Chef Angie

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 19

I agree .... for that peace of mind go with SPS.
Deep breath and don't be nervous. from someone who will be doing her first 5 tier in 3 weeks.... I know how you feel. icon_smile.gif

MISweetAddictions Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 19

Thank You for the support..I have never use SPS but I have heard wonders...Unfortunetly The cake is due in 2 days and they don't have it at my local Michaels icon_sad.gif I have plastic dowels and small wooden dowels....I am hoping this will work icon_smile.gif

BellesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellesMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 19

What is SPS? Thanks icon_smile.gif

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 19

Make sure to also get a long dowel to go all the way thru the center to hold the entire cake together and prevent tip-overs. You can even do more than one for piece of mind. Also, don't forget about the grease issue if using fabric ribbon on the buttercream. Just make sure to allot yourself more than enough time just in case you have any hiccups in the process, and you can avoid undue stress. I have still have not learned that lesson....

MISweetAddictions Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 19

I have never used a long dowel before. Does it go thtough the cake boards easily? Also I was told to use 2-4 cardboard cake boards, glue then together and use that for each tier...That makes me worried about them going through without bending the boards.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 19

the cakes will be sitting on top of each other before you use the center dowel so the boards will not bend. Just make sure you sharpen the end. There is an article on this site.... teired /stacked cake construction ..... it might help you.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 19

good luck! the thought of that makes me nervous. I do it all the time, but each time, I am nervous icon_smile.gif Next time plan ahead- SPS is the best!

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 19

I think the suggestion about putting 2-4 boards and glue them together is for the bottom board not for between tiers. I normally use 1 board and the center dowel go through fine. You just have to sharpen it. I used a pencil sharpener to do the job. Good Luck.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm
post #12 of 19

I don't know if this is an issue for you but for my bottom board I use 1/2-inch foam board and cover it with whatever looks nice. I use the sps system also and use part of the collars that come with the columns as "feet" for the bottom cake board. It is hard to pick up a cake if you can't get your fingers beneath it! I just glue them on with hot glue gun. I do agree with the sps being the best for tiered cakes and peace of mind!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 19

I love the stress free cake supports, the legs adjust and I recently had a customer accidently throw away one of the supports. Got on line and ordered it on Mon and got it in the mail on wednesday. Love them. I use foam core for the cakes between tiers and plywood for the bottom. The dowel rod will go right through the foamcore.

MISweetAddictions Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:20am
post #14 of 19

Thank you for all the fab advice....I would be lost without this site icon_smile.gif Wish me luck....ITS DUE TOMORROW....EEEK! For future refference....Where is the best place to order the SPS?

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:39am
post #15 of 19

Never used the sps but GOOD LUCK for tomorrow!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 11:54am
post #16 of 19

anyone have trouble getting sps level? When i use it, i always seem to have to keep pressing is some areas on the plastic downward and my cake is not level? i do use a level before putting the sps on..so any ideas??

Thanks!

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #17 of 19

I don't know where everyone else gets their sps but I get mine from oasis supply. www.oasissupply.com. They seem to be quite affordable and the delivery was fast. If anyone knows of a better place, please let me know too!!!

MISweetAddictions Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #18 of 19

OK ladies here it is...It went better than I thought it would but it could obviously be a little more level. The bride was happy with it so that was a bonus. This is my first EVER tier cake! Any advice to make it better next time?

MISweetAddictions Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 19

I tried posting a picture but not sure how to do it...adding an attachment didn't work icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%