How Can I Embed The Letters?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm by Cakechick123

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 18

Hi all,

I use JEM alphabet set to make something like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hiauSkq4w9I/THTK9nV9Q3I/AAAAAAAAHRc/o5flHGKMmAM/s1600/029.JPG

But when I tried to cut out the letters from the coloured fondant they are sooo thin and I can't give the same effect in the picture. Any ideas about doing this with an easy way?

17 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 18

You could roll out the fondant a bit thicker so that the letters are thicker when you cut them.

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 18

Yeah but I'm trying to cut out the same letters from the fondant on the cookie to stick the coloured ones into their places and its hard to cut them too.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 18

It looks to me as if they embossed the cookie. What I mean is cut out the circle of fondant the same size as the cookie, put it onto the cookie, then press the letters into the fondant but not all the way through. Then paint the color on with food color or powder.

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 18

You may right learnincakes, I thought it's made of fondant but maybe they painted it.

learnincakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 18

Practice pressing the letters into the fondant that is going onto the cookie. Until you get the right pressure.

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 18

Oh yes I need to practice more. I search the other pictures of that site and I found this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hiauSkq4w9I/S56PgB_mfGI/AAAAAAAAGbQ/DCMivbfNqKs/s1600-h/batur1.JPG

So those different colored letters are definitely came out from fondant, not painted.

learnincakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 18

Wow those are great looking cookies. I still think that they are embossed, but I am not sure. I am going to try it, I dont have letters but I will try with flowers. Sorry I could not help. I did not mean to suggest you need practise. Just to try different pressures until you get the look you want.

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 18

learnincakes I didn't offended icon_smile.gif I really need to practice because it's my first time using this set icon_smile.gif Somehow they cut out the letters without disfiguring them, that's what I have to practice icon_smile.gif Thanks for your help.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 18

it looks like they embossed the fondant and cut out the letter separately and then put it in the same place

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 18

Yes cakeandpartygirl, but when I try to do the same thing the letters come out really hard and they disfigures. Cause this set of letters has really thin shape of letters.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 18

to me, it looks like they cut out the letters, let them harden, then pushed them into soft fondant, then cut the rectangle shape.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 18

Nice effect, very nicely done!

I've done something with letter frames to be placed "floating" on a cake that seems to me quite similar.
If so, letters are cut and let dry for a day.
Proceed working the area that will "receive" the pre-cuts, once this area is colored, embossed or whatever technique you'll use just make sure fondant remains soft
Push the letters softly half way it thickness on place
Some of the letters will stick by themselves while others may need to be brushed in the back with a little water to adhere.
Hope it helps icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 18

Shepsit - is this the set you are using?
http://www.makeawishcakeshop.co.uk/onlineshop/Details.asp?ProductID=1147

Bluehue

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you so much drakegore and what_a_cake, as you both said I believe I have to cut the letters and let them dry for couple of hours. I'll try to do like this next time. Thanks for your suggestions.

Bluehue, yes, that's the alphabet set that I have.

learnincakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:26pm
post #16 of 18

Shepsit, well I can say that I was 100% wrong. I tried to emboss and paint. Unless a person has a super steady hand it just did not work and acheive the look you wanted. The colors did not turn out solid either. So it did not look anything like the cookies you are trying to do. Sorry for the mis-information.

Shepsit Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #17 of 18

Please do not say that you are sorry learnincakes, it was really nice of you that u did try to find out the way of doing this.

Thank you so much trying to painting them and sharing the result with us.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #18 of 18

its actually very easy to do, but you need a special roller pad. you can also substitute by making small holes in a dummy and placing the cutters in there
http://www.jemcutters.co.za/html/tools_3.html

the cutters goes into the holes at the side upside down (thats why they have those little tabs at the back). You then place the rolled out paste (for instance red) on top of the letters and roll it out. Then take away the exess paste, use a pin to take away any bits you dont want. You can make ea letter a different colour. Each cutter will now be filled with the paste. You take a different colour paste (say blue) and roll it over the cutters. This is you back ground. You flip the pad over and push the letters out. If you gently pull the cutter away you will have a blue background with the red letters embossed. You then trim the background to the shape and size you want.

this is a cake I did that way over Christmas ( the merry xmas plaque)

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%