Moving Tiny Pieces Of Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By zespri Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 2:01am by melissad

zespri Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:39am
post #1 of 8

When making things out of fondant/gumpaste, how do you transfer the tiny little pieces onto whatever you're working on? Sometimes I crush them, or sometimes they stick to my skin and lose their shape..... is there a technique for moving the little pieces onto the main piece?

7 replies
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:01am
post #2 of 8

After cutting out your shapes - allow them to *firm up* before moving them.
The circles i made for my last cake - i allowed to sit overnight on a piece of glad baking paper on a cake rack, as i didn't want the roundness to loose shape.
If you don't have that much time - always allow a good 10 - 20 minutes or so - that way the edges are firm enough to move.
The longer you leave them the firmer they will be - thus keeping their shape more for you.
Plus they are easier to handle when placing them on your cake.

I use a very think pallett knife to lift my shapes.
See top two rows in this link thumbs_up.gif
http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=palette%20knife&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1004&bih=619

Hope this helps you.

Bluehue.

Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 8:24am
post #3 of 8

i use a pair of soft nosed tweezers, and also a pallete knife for flat pieces icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:21am
post #4 of 8

I use the flat end of this, like a tiny spatula to transport the smallest pieces of fondant...I'm talking about facial features...eyes - lashes - brows (I don't paint them, like most): http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Scraper_p_607.html

I LOVE this tool and use it on every single project, even though it's meant for cookies.

tokazodo Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 9:47am
post #5 of 8

For tiny features like the whites of eyes, I've used a food only, damp detail paint brush for placement. Moisten the brush, touch the small piece and it sticks to the brush. I also use a icing spatula for moving larger pieces.

pattycakesnj Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:54am
post #6 of 8

tweezers or a palate knife

Molly2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:26am
post #7 of 8

I try and make mine on Parchment paper and move the whole sheet of paper I finish my pieces

Molly icon_smile.gif

melissad Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #8 of 8

I use the tip of my x-acto knife. The angle on the blade lets me slide it gently under the edge then lift them up, and since the blade comes to a point, it's easy to see around when trying to place them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%