Rice Krispy Base For 4 Tier Cake??

Decorating By carlamac Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 12:56am by jlynnw

carlamac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlamac Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 7:02am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a 4 tier 50th Anniversary cake for my Grandparents. We will have way more cake than we'll need. I thought about a fake cake for the bottom layer but decided rice Krispy treats would be cool, especially for the kids. I am also not very experinced with cakes, capable but not experinced, so I was thinking that If I compact the treats really well they would work as a really sturdy base layer icon_lol.gif . Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? How do I get the treats very compact? Will it be more sturdy than cake (I'll still use dowels)Will it support the other 3 tiers better? Any particular recipe I need to follow
Thanks in advance for any help

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 5

I did the bottom tier of this cake in rice krispy treats.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1447570

It won't be more or less sturdy than using cake, and it won't support more because it doesn't actually support the cakes on top of it, your support system does (dowels/plates)

If you're planning on eating it then i wouldn't compact it. I just make my normal recipe and put them in the pan for about 10-15 mins. Pop them out to finish cooling on the counter and form my next layer. If you do want to companct the treats then i would crush the cereal a little bit before adding it to the marshmallow mixture.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 5

I left my rkt in the pan overnight - just tired more than any "real" reason. I made 2 double batches (4 total) for a 16 inch pan. I just kept pushing and pushing, used the rolling pin to level it. I only did the 2 inch bottom layer. I did use the dowel supports. I think is is not what cake/ rkt/ cookie recipie that you use, it is all in the support system. SPS is my favorite.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 5

I agree, I wouldn't compact it down too much otherwise it would be too hard. A good support system will support the tiers on top of the treats.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:56am
post #5 of 5

I really did smash mine in quite a bit. It was firm but not inedible. The RKTs went faster than the cake. then again, my family does not like the premade ones from the store as well as a tighter packed one I make. All in preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%