How Do I Make Red Fondant?

Decorating By Janellevg Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 10:58pm by lolobell

Janellevg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janellevg Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:37am
post #1 of 15

I am making a fire truck cake and I want a really red fondant.. not pink. Any tips?

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:54am
post #2 of 15

The best tip is to simply buy red. And black.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:16am
post #3 of 15

Red powdered food color - an entire 9 gram jar - plus either "super red" from Americolor, or Wilton's "red red". Add a tbls of glycerine, and knead like H***. Or just add it all to a batch of MMF after melting the MM's.

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:25am
post #4 of 15

I always buy red and blck satin ice! Got tired of trying to make it and getting crackily fondant!

MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceytisdale

I always buy red and blck ! Got tired of trying to make it and getting crackily fondant!

Really? I find the red and black SI dries too hard and still cracks. When kneading it little crumbs end up on my mat!

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 15

really? Never had an issue with that...i always put a bit of shortening on my mat then a bit of icing sugar and it's good.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 15

I've only used red as accent pieces. I first start by using pink wilton color. Then I add the red americolor. It was easy for me becasue I made a small amount the size of my palm. Starting off with pink definately helped. If your going to use a lot make sure you buy enough red.

MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 15

Yeah... I've tried them 3 times. If I have to cover a large tier, though, I prefer fondarific when funds allow. Not good for details, but amazing for covering cakes!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 15

Wow. The only problem I've ever had with SI colors is that they are incredibly soft.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 15

Satin Ice red does end up being pretty soft for me, just like Leah said. But my black always dries out and cracks if I'm not careful.

Another way to help you make red, if neccary is to use ppink first, get a nice pink tone, which is easy, then add red it. You won't need quite so much.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 15

I buy red and black fondant...although, there's a recipe, here in CC, to make black fondant-- tried it one time and I did get black fondant, but it come out way to soft to work with it.
Good luck!

Janellevg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janellevg Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 15

I have heard that starting with a pink base works well... so I'll try it out and hopefully get the color I'm looking for. Thank you everyone!!

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:50pm
post #13 of 15

buy it premade or airbrush it...save yourself the time and frustration!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 15

Buy it. It's not worth the carpal tunnel to knead in all that color, plus it changes the consistency of the fondant. Awful mess.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 15

i use Americolor Egg Yellow...mix it well...then add a drop or two of Fushcia, then add red red.

works well but i don't know how big a batch you are making...
so, i suggest playing with it a bit...start slow and work your way to "red" icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%