Stacking A 4 Tiered Cake With A Bottom Tier Dummy

Decorating By chocolatemess Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 2:21pm by chocolatemess

chocolatemess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatemess Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:27am
post #1 of 7

I will be making my first wedding cake in a few weeks. Am planning on purchasing the SPS system thanks to reading many posts on CC and Leah's tutorial. My bottom layer will be a 14" square cake dummy. Will be stacking 12", 9" & 6" cakes on that. Can I simply place the 12" cake on my fondant covered dummy or do I need some additional support to ensure that everything stays level? Do I need to use the SPS support in the styro dummy?

6 replies
NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 7

I recently did a wedding cake using a 16" dummy as the bottom tier and then a 12", 10" & 8"...I used the regular wilton stackers similar to the sps system...I did use it between the dummy and the 12" only because I needed a small gap to add a row of roses....if you look on my photos it is the blue and white wedding cake....I will say the cake was VERY sturdy...I hope this helps... icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 7

Set the lowest tier of real cake on a cardboard and set tat on the styro. Skewer it in. Then use SPS as normal.

PS, NatD "regular Wilton stackers similar to the SPS system . . ." seriously, my head just exploded.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #4 of 7

sorry leah..i wasn't at all comparing them in quality just trying to explain to her what i used in a way that i thought was clear and could give her good visualization...sorry if my comparison offended you

chocolatemess Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:26am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, so just skewers to hold the 2nd tier in place is adequate, the styro dummy is strong enough to support the add'l 3 layers? Leah, your tutorial was very helpful, I'm ordering the SPS system tomorrow, just hope I can bake my tiers to the needed 4".

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #6 of 7

You can think of the styro dummy and a reeeeaaally tall cake board.

chocolatemess Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for the assistance, very much appreciated!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%