Wierd Royal Icing!

Baking By karencuppycake Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 3:23am by Lita829

karencuppycake Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 4

I am doing some royal icing runouts for a cake.
It is the first time I am doing royal icing runouts.
I have no idea why my royal icing gets slimy after a while even though I leave it out or in the fridge.
What is happening to my royal icing.
It doesnt happen to the stuff consistancy one only the very thin one I use for runouts.

Thank you in advance!

3 replies
Lita829 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:03am
post #2 of 4

I had this happen to me over the summer when it was incredibly hot and humid. Humidity affects RI for flooding or runouts. It could also be the type of flavoring you are using. If the flavoring has too much oil, the RI will not set. Try flavorings/extracts with alcohol instead of oil. I also try to mix my flavoring with the water and add it all togather.

One more question...did you use the paddle attachment or the whisk attachment? The whisk attachment incorportates too much air and the RI does funky things when this happens. I mix it using the paddle attachment.

karencuppycake Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 4

Oh ok! So it is because of humidity! I live in Singapore which is in the tropics so I guess that is what the problam is... Would air conditioning help?
I didnt use any flavoring for my RI so I dont think that is the problam...

Thank you very much!

Lita829 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:23am
post #4 of 4

You're welcome! Working in with an AC running should help. Thats what I had to do this summer and I didn't have any more problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%