Australian Style Of Decorating??

Decorating By cksweets Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm by cksweets

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 8

hi y'all. i'm in texas...but have been drawn to the aussie style of decorating from the mud cake, ganache, to the total look. after lots of research i've found that there are lots of different ways of decorating. here in texas most decorators use the wilton's methods. i have found them helpful, however i don't feel this is the style that best fits my personality. i am drawn to the euro and aussie styles. thumbs_up.gif

was wondering if anyone could suggest books, recipes anything to help me get started?? i am super hungry for knowledge. i'll keep googling info, but any help that i could get from your sweet decorators would be great. icon_rolleyes.gif

thank you so much for all your help in advance as well as taking time to read this post. icon_redface.gif

cksweets icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 8

Planet Cake by Paris Cutter is really the only book I know of that would be the style you are after. She also has a new one which I think is due out next month. An other thing I can suggest is wedding cake magazines which are great for ideas but don't have instructions. The Australian Women's Weekly also has some books but these are probably more suited to amateurs but have some great recipes, they have just released a new kids cake book. Celebration Cakes which is an old AWW cookbook can usually be found on Amazon. Hope this helps.

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 8

Planet cake is really good. Here is the link to their forum website. It is a smaller version of cc forums with the australian style cakes.

http://www.planetcaketeaparty.com.au/

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Planet Cake book for the modern look.

For Australian stringwork, I suggest Toba Garrett's books (but the cakes are a little old-fashioned).

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 8

The 'Planet Cake' book would be a good starting point...Planet Cake only use fondant over ganache for their cakes, and are big on the 'clean' look, with great sharp edges.

http://www.planetcake.com.au/

It's interesting that there is an "Aussie decorating style" - I'm in Australia and I've always thought decorating techniques are much the same world-wide...although the all-over super-smooth buttercream finish, which seems to be very popular in the US, is not used a lot here.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 8

Coral3, don't you guys over there use royal icing to cover cakes too? I've seen those beautifully perfect cakes, covered with royal icing and then piped over with that stringwork. I think that's the hardest stuff to master.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:42am
post #7 of 8

Toba Garret's books, Wedding Cake Art and Design: A Professional Approach and Professional Cake Decorating are good sources of not only this technique, but the Lambeth method too. There is a UK book called Pressure Piping, by Lesley Herbert and Sue Ballard, that deals with piping skills, how to make and use royal icing etc that may give you some helpful technique tips. It has a chapter on 3 tiered wedding cake that incorporates some of the simpler techniques.

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 8

THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH!!

Planet Cake is perfect. I'm so excited to learn all that i can from here!!

Also, I LOVE Toba. I have her Well-Decorated Cake book but will have to def get the other one. She is such a great teacher and inspiration to me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%