Ganache Disaster

Baking By kristanashley Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm by SwtCanuck

kristanashley Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 4

So I tried to make my first batch of ganache. I wanted to try whipped ganache, so I got a 12 oz bag of semi-sweet ghiradelli, heated a quart of whipping cream until it almost boiled, hand-whisked it into the chocolate until it was completely blended, let it come to room temp, put it in the fridge until it was cold, and whipped it with my whisk attatchment on my mixer. It never whipped up and came out chunky and soupy like cottage cheese. What did I do wrong??? How do you make whipped ganache?

3 replies
Minstrelmiss Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 4

Too much cream! 2:1 by weight. I bet you can reheat, gently, and come up with something lovely to do with it. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

still_learning Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 4

I use the Whimsical Bakehouse whipped choc ganache recipe. It calls for 1/2 lb choc and 1 quart heavy cream. They say to melt the choc in a double boiler before adding the cream. They also say to bring the cream to a boil. How long did you chill the mixture? This recipe says overnight. I also wonder about whether any water could have gotten into the mix since you said it turned chunky and seemed to separate.

SwtCanuck Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 4

When I make my ganache I only heat the chocolate then I add room temp cream. Works great every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%