Difference Between Tylose Powder And Gum-Tex?

Decorating By sumerae Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm by TexasSugar

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen the gum-tex at Michael's and AC Moore. Have yet to find tylose. I want to make my fondant harder without having to put the actual gumpaste in it so that I still have the darker color I had orginally with the fondant. Can I use gum-tex in it?? (uh...and is gum-tex a powder?)

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 5

Yes you can use gum tex to make your fondant harder. And yes it is just a powder you can kneed into your fondant. How much depends on how hard you want it and how much time you want to work with it.

You won't find tylose at a craft store. It is something you will have to go to a cake supply store or order online for.

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 5

Great, thanks! I do have a cake supply store within about 30 min. but I'm just NEVER on that side of town, I have much easier access to Michael's and AC Moore so I'll give gum-tex a try first.

Thanks again!

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 5

Just my two cents but gumtex stinks really bad. My one time working with it was my last. You can get tylose thru amazon but if you are within 30 mins of a cake supply go there. Tylose gives you a whiter gumpaste and makes wonderful gum glue.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 5

I use gum tex more often than not. It has a smell to it, but it isn't a bad smell. And since it is used to harder up fondant for decorations people usually don't eat I don't worry about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%