New York State

Business By Mombo Updated 19 Sep 2010 , 8:39pm by peg818

Mombo Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 7

Just curious, does anyone know the legality of homes baking in NYS???

6 replies
SugarFiend Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 7

It varies, depending on where you're located. It can be done in SOME places, and then it falls under the State Dept. of Agriculture. BUT... Check with your local Health Dept. first. Many (if not most) county HD's say no, which means you can't do it even if the State Dept. of Ag says yes.

Good luck!

Mombo Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the infor Sugarfiend. I will start there, but my gut says that it's a no go in the Great State of NY...

LindaF144a Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by Mombo

Thanks for the infor Sugarfiend. I will start there, but my gut says that it's a no go in the Great State of NY...

Your gut is wrong. It does depend on where you live. It varies from county to county. So call your local Department of Health and Department of Agriculture also.

If you are baking out of your home, there is a thing called a Home Processing Permit. This allows you sell certain non-perishable baked goods using your home kitchen to sell at Farmer's Markets and wholesale to coffee shops, restauarants, etc. There are lots of rules with this. In my county, Monroe, it falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Agriculture, but the minute I go retail it will fall under the Department of Health. And even then are other departments to check too. There are so many different things that it is too long to list here.

You cannot start a cake decorating business out of your home, unless you wholesale through a party house or restaurant or something like that. You can add on a separate commercial kitchen (at least in my county, check with yours) and have a separate entrance and run that out out your home. But this has to be a completely separate commercial kitchen completely equipped with commercial equipment and approved at least by the Board of Health if not the Fire Marshall also.

Bottom line. Do more research. Hunt around on the NYS gov site. Cause depending on where you live, you could do something. Maybe those in other counties will chime in, cause I hear it is different in the NYC, Long Island area. But don't assume on what you read here, make that phone call to your local place. They know more than we do.

bakingpw Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

Not only does it vary from county to county - it varies from town to town. For instance, my county health Dept. alllows for the Agriculture home processing permit, but my town does not.

LindaF144a Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 7

What town is that? Really, the many levels of bureaucracy sometimes is enough to make you crazy.

peg818 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah don't forget your local zoning office. They want their share too. Home processor permit is the way to start. Good luck. It really isn't that hard to get your home processor permit.

Biggest thing is no pets, and nothing that needs to be refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%