Ideas For "filler" Decorations On A Fiesta Cake

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm by KJ62798

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a fiesta themed bday cake for my friend's 30th (it's a gift). I know I'm draping a fondant striped blanket across the top and I have a pile of chili peppers for the top.

I need something to fill in between/around the peppers. She doesn't drink so no margarita glasses. The bday dinner will be shared w/stepson & BiL so no flowers.

I have attempted a couple of chocolate sombreros--not sure yet if I like the results.

Any ideas for simple, fun, fiesta accents/filler?

My friends insists that I am NOT allowed to stress over her cake. I can't help seeing it as a chance to be creative for someone who will be appreciative of whatever they get.

Kristy

11 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 12

Could you make a little gecko lizard peeking out from under the pile of peppers (like they were his cave), with a few partially-eaten peppers around him?
They come in all sorts of sizes, patterns, and colors (just Google image search you'll find tons!).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 12

What about marroca's? (Did I spell that right?)

KJ62798 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 12

ooooh, I like the gecko idea but I wonder if I have the skills to pull it off.

Maracas have come to mind. I had a brief brainstorm about making a burrito, taco and quesadilla out of fondant (the bday dinner is at a Mex restaurant) but I'm wondering about scale.

The cake is an 8in square. The peppers are about 2 and 3in long. If I make small maracas or food, the peppers will be giant in comparison. If I make life size food, they might not fit on the top of the cake.

hmmmmmm....

K

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 12

Brightly colored skull and or a cactus would be fun.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 12

We just did a float this summer with the fiesta theme for my daughters girl scout troop, it was so much fun!! Lots of bright colors, cactus was the first thing that came to my mind with your peppers....

KJ62798 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:31am
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the all the great ideas.

So far I have a striped blanket, bunch of peppers, a skull w/flowers for eyes, a yellow sun w/faces embossed onto it and some bright flowers. I figure the skull & other items balance out the few flowers. The cake is frosted in dark chocolate ganache so in no way is that girly.

The stepson is the one w/issues about the cake being "girly". His "lovely" grandmother got a princess cake for his combo birthday party with his younger half sister--nothing more mortifying than a pink sparkly cake for a 15YO boy.

Not sure how to make 3D catcus for the top of the cake. Thinking about using flat ones along the sides of the cake (I think I have a cutter--time to dig in the box)

I might also make a cross that looks like it is covered in bright mosaic tile.

I'll get some pics up when it's done.
Kristy

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:43am
post #9 of 12

Maybe a small brightly colored mule pinata?

MissBlu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBlu Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:42am
post #10 of 12

What about brightly colored parrots and pinatas come to mind: www.http://pinatasforsale.org

KJ62798 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 12

Fiesta cake is DONE! W00T!

Let's see if I can attach a pic

Edit--nope, let me get it into the gallery & post a link.

KJ62798 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 12

YAY! Gallery upload worked. Here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1805351.html

Thanks for all the help with ideas for this cake.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%