Help With 80S Cake

Decorating By Saluna Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm by hollyml

Saluna Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello. I'm doing a cake for a friend's 40th birthday. The theme is 1980s. She wants a 1980s style boombox. I'm going to do this, with some little icons to put on the board, MTV, pacman, jelly bracelets... etc. What I can't decide to do is the cake board... I thought maybe neon checker board or maybe a splatter paint... but I dont know what would go good. Anybody got any good ideas......

Thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
divinecc Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 6

I have seen just a black and white checker for 80's and it looked great but I really like your splatter idea, totally 80's! Post pics

Unlimited Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluna

What I can't decide to do is the cake board... I thought maybe neon checker board or maybe a splatter paint...

Tie dye! Perhaps you could airbrush or paint a fondant-covered board like this cake from Freed's Bakery:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4803437&fbid=441932634696&id=66682959696

walterak Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 6

I am doing an 80's cake next week for a 40th birthday too. Didn't even think about the cake board deco. I like the idea of the black and white checkerboard.

ilztar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 6

I think the neon paint splatter will be the best choice. Good luck!

hollyml Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 6

Hm, I probably wouldn't do a checkerboard with black and white -- I remember wearing more "jagged" or irregular patterns of black and white...like this...triangles, maybe...or uneven-width stripes, like this -- I, like, totally had a shirt with exactly these stripes in 1984. icon_lol.gif

Or yeah, paint spatters would be perfect. Or maybe neon buffalo plaid. Or even a "lace" pattern, to go with the jelly bracelets (think mid-80s Madonna).

Yes, I was an 80s teen -- and had an 80s-themed 40th birthday party, though my husband did not buy a themed cake for it. (I'm not even sure where, around here, one could buy such a thing...and I expect I'd balk at the price anyway. DH told me after buying a simple sheet cake for that party, he had a very different perspective on the price of my baking and decorating tools and supplies!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%