Freezing Batter

Baking By mombabytiger Updated 20 Oct 2010 , 10:36pm by KHalstead

mombabytiger Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:46am
post #1 of 21

Has anyone here had any luck freezing cake batter? If I only need to make 12 cuppies, I have lots of batter left over and it seems to me that it would save space in the freezer if I could freeze the batter in a ziplock bag rather than baking the extras and freezing them.

TIA

20 replies
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 11:56am
post #2 of 21

You can also hold batter in the fridge. I do it ALL the time.

arenapr Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 21
leily Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 21

ok, since i can't access my second page of post i've made i can't find the exact topic. But sometime in the last week or two someone posted that yes they do this all the time with no issues.

Someone even said they scoop the batter into their cupcake liners, freeze and then pop them out of the freezer to thaw when they need to bake them.

Apti Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

ok, since i can't access my second page of post i've made i can't find the exact topic. But sometime in the last week or two someone posted that yes they do this all the time with no issues.

Someone even said they scoop the batter into their cupcake liners, freeze and then pop them out of the freezer to thaw when they need to bake them.

Yeah, I was trying to look up my old posts and can't get past page 1 either. They said YES! you can freeze.

Chellescakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 21

I freeze cake mix all the time, however I do always make sure that I seal the top with gladwrap sitting on the cakemix so there is no air between the mix and the lid .

shannycakers Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 21

So do we need to remix the batter once its been thawed or taken out of frig??

Chellescakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 21

I usually defrost it in the fridge and then pop it out on the bench for a bit so it sin't so cold , for about an hour before I use it. I just give it a bit of a stir through. I have mixed it with fresh batter as well and have had no dramas with it .

shannycakers Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:14pm
post #9 of 21

Great!! thank you for the ideas! and information, life saving, LOL

litlecuchi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:03am
post #10 of 21

great!

fba322 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #11 of 21

I posted a few weeks ago singing the praises of freezing batter. I froze mine for the first time and was so happy with the results that I now have my freezer stocked with batter. I freeze in Ziplock freezer bags. I normally take the batter out the night before (or a few hours) before I need it and place it in the fridge to thaw. And I find if I have cupcakes to do, all I have to do is snip the corner off the bag and use it to pipe the batter into the cupcake liners. My cupcakes actually rise and dome better by doing this that if using fresh batter.

Pallison Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 21

Will a batter with add ins, such as lemon zest and flavorings, still freeze ok...?? Or even things like nuts, marshmallows, candies etc....

heylovedesigns Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 21

Ooh, good to know! I will be making a big batch next week and have a smaller assorted batch to make just a couple days later. I thought it I could freeze either the batter or the cupcakes themselves, it would help me from having to break out everything and make cupcakes twice. Thanks all!

TrixieTreats Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I usually defrost it in the fridge and then pop it out on the bench for a bit so it sin't so cold , for about an hour before I use it. I just give it a bit of a stir through. I have mixed it with fresh batter as well and have had no dramas with it .

I just did this the same exact way, and was sooooo happy with the result. My first time freezing leftover batter, and it was perfect! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 21

It is so good to know that every person who has done this has had good results... thanks everyone for sharing!

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 21

Not only has every person who has done this has had good results, now we know what to do with all this left over cake batter, especially when using the cake extender which really gives us more batter. Thanks everyone for posting in topic!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 6:26pm
post #17 of 21

I've actually scooped out frozen batter and put into cupcake liners while still frozen and baked them and they turned out wonderful and MOIST!

I posted a thread somewhere including photos but I can't find it! lol

Cocobongo Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 21

That's really good to know. So does the same alppy to all batter i.e. scratch sponge cake, scratch chocolate cake etc? Is there anything that really shouldn't be frozen? icon_smile.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:14pm
post #19 of 21

I just recently started freezing batter. I've had great results with WASC batter frozen up to 2 days. Haven't had a chance to try any frozen longer than that. It really does seem to work. I've also read on here that scratch batter may not freeze with the same results as cake mix batter.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 21

Has anyone frozen batter for longer than 2 days? If so, how long did you freeze it for and how did it turn out?

KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 10:36pm
post #21 of 21

I've frozen it for 2 weeks just in a tupperware bowl with plastic wrap just on the surface of the batter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%